Can't delete Network Connection

dms05 08:56 13 Dec 2007

On a Dell Desktop it shows a LAN 10/100 connection to the Internet. It shows enabled/connected and works. However I would like to Delete this connection and reinstate it but the delete option (right click on the highlighted connection) has the Delete option greyed out. If I run the Network Wizard all I get is 'existing connection exists'. The Delete option is greyed out with the connection enabled and disabled. Any ideas on how to delete the connection?

RicScott 00:34 16 Dec 2007

would you want to delete then reinstate?

If you want to uninstall the device and reinstall, do this via the device manager (Control Panel/System).
Right Click on the Network Adapter you want to uninstall, Click uninstall then reboot your system... This will delete the device then on reboot, reinstall the device.

Kemistri 01:01 16 Dec 2007

It is greyed out because there is only one connection of that type. The option is there for people who have created (accidentally or deliberately) additional connections that utilise that same adapter, which is really only applicable to notebooks that may need to run on more than network.

Is this connection not needed, or is it problematic? If it is not needed, simply disable the adapter.

dms05 08:22 16 Dec 2007

Thanks for the responses. The current LAN Internet connection was installed by my son and he used the wrong settings (he didn't realise that using a router didn't need Internet connection Sharing to be enabled). However the obvious (ie uninstall the LAN adaptor and allow XP to reinstall) completely eluded me. It's now done and all is well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?