Can't delete Blaster

PvG 19:46 07 Sep 2003

Hi there
I have a Dell desktop with Blaster. I have activated the Firewall - as per MS document, but the internet connection gets cut off before I can download the patch or update Norton.
Any suggestions on where to go from here, please?
Part of the system slowness and internet problem came after a game was installed and uninstalled and the system has been SO slow since that. That is the 2nd problem... Any suggestions with that one too would be EXTREMELY welcome!

Paul G

Kitz E Kat 19:59 07 Sep 2003

Hi,you do have internet access, if you are unnable to download the patch from MS and update definitions,which is a waste of time as the virus wont like that and further screw up your computer, trust me on this, been there done that!!

You need to get at a computer with internet access and click here, to get the patch from Norton, also go to the link for MS and get the security patch there.

These are small downloads and wont cost an arm and a leg on a dial up,even check out an internet cafe!!! have a nice coffee while doin it!!!

Load the security patch first, then load the Norton Blaster removal tool and let it do its thing..and that's it, oh yeah if you have Dydtem restore turn that off, first and restart it after you are rid of the virus.

You should be back in business, update your virus definitions, and then look at your second problem...

Hope this helps
Yours, a blaster survivor!!!!,
Kitz E Kat

Kitz E Kat 20:03 07 Sep 2003

1) The link for the MS patch is on the Norton page...
2) Dydtem restore,,,!!! is System restore, stupid keyboards......
Sorry
Kitz E

VoG II 20:06 07 Sep 2003

How to turn off Dydtem restore click here

;o)

Kitz E Kat 20:09 07 Sep 2003

You any idea how hard it is to type with paws....
No did'nt dink do....
I rest my paws!!!!
:-0)

VoG II 20:12 07 Sep 2003

It's bad enough with fat fingers. I sympathise and no offence intended, or taken I hope :o)

Kitz E Kat 20:31 07 Sep 2003

Us Kats dont take offence at nothin, we just sit on them!!!!!!!
Take care...
Kitz E

keith-236785 22:34 07 Sep 2003

DOWNLOAD THE FIX FROM SYMANTEC'S WEBSITE ( and save on your computer)

assuming you are using windows XP,

right click on my computer and choose properties

click the system restore tab and put a tick in the "turn off system restore box"

accept the warnings and close, system restore is now off (you will lose ALL restore points if you do this and cannot go back....are you sure?)

click start button then run

in the box type msconfig +press enter

click on the startup tab

untick msblast, restart your system (BEFORE YOU RESTART, UNPLUG YOUR MODEM......IF YOU DONT YOU WILL GO ROUND IN CIRCLES)

PS, dont forget to turn System Restore back on when you have finally got rid of the virus.

took me four hours to get rid of blaster cos i left my modem plugged in, (oops my lesson for that day).

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?