Can't Defrag Large Clusters

chochi 15:48 18 Apr 2007

I cannot defrag 2 large clusters of RED. One is 743 fragments and 10.37GB the other is 856 fragments and 10.98GB This is a huge amount of disk space. Apparently they belong to 2 videos on Ulead Video Studio 9. I have now deleted the videos from my computer, but still cant defrag these bits. I downloaded IObit SmartDefrag today to see if that would be more thorough than Windows Defragmenter, but they are still there. I also use Ccleaner to tidy up any rubbish.Any suggestions please.

cowgirl66 15:55 18 Apr 2007

You could try running a registry clean to remove more of these redundant files. If you need a free one this is recommended by me click here

cowgirl66 15:56 18 Apr 2007

Sorry i meant this webpage click here

Andsome 16:05 18 Apr 2007

Try Diskeeper Lite. If you like it it is yours free, but I can thoroughly recommend the paid for version. It is not very expensive and is first class.
click here

chochi 16:13 18 Apr 2007

cowgirl66
I use Regscrub XP at the moment

Andsome
After looking at threads here, I decided to use IObit. Do you think that Diskeeper will be better or is it just an individual preference/

birdface 16:51 18 Apr 2007

click here You could try this optimizer,Free for the first month or first year not sure,This will clear all the crap out of the registry,it also has a defrag on it if you want to use it,The free version you can only delete 10 items at a time,But you can run it as many times as you want,It took me 14 attempts to clear mine,And your computer will go a lot faster when finished,

Andsome 16:56 18 Apr 2007

Andsome
After looking at threads here, I decided to use IObit. Do you think that Diskeeper will be better or is it just an individual preference/

I have never used the program that you mention. I did however like the free version of Diskeeper so much that I bought Diskeeper 10. I have NEVER regretted this move.

Technotiger 16:59 18 Apr 2007

Hi, I use iObit which I think is excellent. But it all comes down to personal preference I guess.

baldtaco 19:29 18 Apr 2007

This is my preferred tool - click here

chochi 15:23 22 Apr 2007

I have now tried all the above suggestions but still have 21 Gigabytes of fragmented files.
This large amount has taken me by surprise and I wonder if something else has caused this.
I normally defragment once a month and have only ever had very small fragments. I also use the following to keep my computer working properly;
Adaware; Avast; Ccleaner; RegscrubXP; Spybot; Sygate Firewall. These have worked well for over a year now. In the last few days I have also downloaded Windows Defender. I hope someone can help as this is now driving me crazy. This may be a silly question but can fragmented files be written over with data or is that now un-usable space?

Technotiger 17:00 22 Apr 2007

Hmmm, I would advise you to get rid of Windows Defender.

It is the space between the fragments that get written on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?