Can't defrag drive under XP

steved 16:41 18 Oct 2006

My Windows XP (SP2) system has recently slowed to a crawl, and after the usual checks for spyware and viruses I found that my C: drive (the drive is split into two partitions) was 35% fragmented. I ran XPs defragmenter several times but it hardly made any difference, so I uninstalled some programs to free up some space (now 26% free space), checked the drive for errors, ran XP defragmenter several times in safe mode then tried the defrag utility in System Mechnic 4 - yet the disc still shows 27% fragmented and XP is still very sluggish. Any thoughts as to what I should try next?

Stevejd
Defrag log as follows:
Volume (C:)
Volume size = 9.76 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 7.20 GB
Free space = 2.56 GB
Percent free space = 26 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 26 %
File fragmentation = 47 %
Free space fragmentation = 5 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 58,201
Average file size = 255 KB
Total fragmented files = 1,127
Total excess fragments = 41,303
Average fragments per file = 1.70

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.13 GB
Total fragments = 3,288

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 4,044
Fragmented folders = 13
Excess folder fragments = 143

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 87 MB
MFT record count = 62,665
Percent MFT in use = 70 %
Total MFT fragments = 26

Jackcoms 16:43 18 Oct 2006

Clean out crap files with click here and then defrag again but with your AV program disabled.

Stuartli 16:45 18 Oct 2006

I use Diskeeper Lite - quicker and seemingly more efficient than the XP version:

click here

brundle 16:46 18 Oct 2006

I realise you have already used a 3rd party tool for defragging, but this is usually very effective; click here (free)

steved 23:14 19 Oct 2006

Have run Diskeeper Lite almost a dozen times(with AV disabled and as many programs as possible closed down) and although it says that it's defragmented some files aparently my disk is still "very heavily fragmented, with 26% of the total volume space available for defragmentation" and "459 fragmented files and/or directories and 25722 excess fragments". Have tried degragging in safe mode but get an error message saying that Diskeeper will not run, and now can't run the vanilla XP defragger as Diskeeper tries to run instead. Help!

johnnyrocker 23:40 19 Oct 2006

run diskeeper in safe mode?

johnny.

Stuartli 23:43 19 Oct 2006

I just run Diskeeper Lite - disabling AV etc has never entered my head (although all programs, applications etc are shut down) and it completes the defrag in more than reasonable time.

johnnyrocker 23:50 19 Oct 2006

likewise and do not need to disable anything.

johnny.

skidzy 23:58 19 Oct 2006

Try running this,you can set it up to how aggressive you want it to be.If in any doubt ....create a system restore point first. click here then defrag in safe mode.

steved 00:06 20 Oct 2006

Diskeeper won't run in safe mode, and although I keep running it (and XP defragger and system mechanic defragger before it) it won't shift from 26% fragmented. Is there a way to defrag in DOS? Would deleting the page file on bootup help?

johnnyrocker 00:09 20 Oct 2006

quite frankly i am of the opinion that you are approaching the issue in an overkill manner ie run this run that and it is my opinion that you need to slow down and approach the problem a lot more methodically

johnny.
ps panic solves nothing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?