Can't decrypt/copy/shrink Dvd-please help?

buel 14:25 29 Dec 2008

Hi there, iv got a dvd from a friend that is a copied dvd (legal as it is just a diy dvd that was homemade) and i cant open it/import it using nero vision(says 'No appropriate disk was recognised in the recorder'), dvd decrypter(encounters error) or dvd shrink(encounters error), has anyone got any ifeas please??

howard64 14:33 29 Dec 2008

it might not have been finalised! I used a friends vcr/dvd recorder to copy a vcr to dvd. The dvd played fine in his unit. When I got home I got the same messages as you are getting whether in a dvd player or the dvd on my pc. I took it back to my friend and used his machine to finalise the disk. It now works fine in all my dvds.

buel 15:56 29 Dec 2008

Hi there, iv got a dvd from a friend that is a copied dvd (legal as it is just a diy dvd that was homemade) and i cant open it/import it using nero vision(says 'No appropriate disk was recognised in the recorder'), dvd decrypter(encounters error) or dvd shrink(encounters error), has anyone got any ifeas please??

buel 18:45 29 Dec 2008

MCE2K5 20:05 29 Dec 2008

Try this,

Open dvd decrypter, Click Tools, Settings, I/O Tab, Tick Ignore Read Errors, Click OK.

Next, Click Mode, ISO Read,

Rip the dvd as usual,

When the ISO is written to hard drive. Click Mode, ISO Write. Select the dvd.iso, where it says "Please select a file" when ready click on the Hard Drive to DVD icon, Sit back and wait for the dvd to be burnt.

This method has worked in the past for me.

buel 09:39 30 Dec 2008

Thanks for the advice, i am able to copy the dvd using MCE2K5's advice but i am still unable to edit it/open it using nero vision, has anyone any ideas how i can open/edit this damn dvd please?

buel 17:15 30 Dec 2008

Thanks for the advice, i am able to copy the dvd using MCE2K5's advice but i am still unable to edit it/open it using nero vision, has anyone any ideas how i can open/edit this damn dvd please?

MCE2K5 20:37 30 Dec 2008

The only thing I can think of is to copy the .VOB files to a directory on your Hard Disk, Then rename them by putting .mpg at the end (Like this VTS_01_1.VOB.mpg, then try to import them into your editing program.

It does sound like the original DVD is Faulty, When you copied the dvd as ab ISO it copied everthing warts and all.

buel 21:34 30 Dec 2008

Hi, yes it copied everything, i really dont think both dvds are faulty as they are a Part 1 and Part 2 and play perfectly, it certainly is an odd one isn't it? Do you think howard64 had a point when he mentioned finalising?

MCE2K5 21:56 30 Dec 2008

Do you think howard64 had a point when he mentioned finalising?: Possable but doubt it.

I've gat a Home made Holiday DVD that wont copy, But using ISO method will copy, It has 18 read errors right at the end, Just lost 3 seconds of the end titles, managed to get all the video but the lost the last 3 seconds. So was able to redo the video again.

buel 14:25 02 Jan 2009

Hi again MCE2K5, your iso method worked perfectly, thankyou for that! Unfortunately, when i tried the renaming of the files as mpeg and then tried to 'grab' them using dvd shrink i got the same error message(dvd shrink has encountered a problem and needs to close) and nero vision has a problem with a certain vob. file, oddly enough it is the main 2 hour file of the whole dvd....you dont think that this is some sort of encrypting method used by the supplier/maker of this dvd do you? Or is it simply an error with tyhe vob. files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?