Cant copy files to cd

micemews 13:26 05 Sep 2006

I have a LG-4163 B DVD/CD rewriter. It seems to be playing Cd's and DVD's ok and it records CD's ok using Nero. But when I try to copy a file to a CD the Windows CD Writing Wizard says there is no CD in the CD Drive. I have the latest drvers installed and Device Manager shows the Drive working properly. Can anyone suggest what the problem may be.

Also how do I get to the screens that allow me to chose whether to use Media Player or Real Player, or Nero etc. when playing music or videos. I did stumble on this recently but I cant remember how I did it

ACOLYTE 13:52 05 Sep 2006

To choose what program opens go into My computer
right click the cd drive and choose properties
then the auto play tab,tick the choose and action to perform part, select music files in the drop down tab and then select the program you want to open those files.
To fine tune when the app opens goto the option part of whatever you chose and select the file types to accosiate with that program.You could also check that cd recording is turned on for that drive,select the recording tab and tick enable cd recording on this drive if it isnt already.

HTH

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 05 Sep 2006

My computer - right click the cd drive and choose properties - Recording tab -tick enable cd recording on this drive.

micemews 14:51 06 Sep 2006

Thamks very much ACOLYTE and Fruit Bat for your very helpful advice. I now know HOW to select the progam to open music files. However no matter which program I chose to open to play the music, it always plays using MUSICMATCH Jukebox. Have you any ideas please how to rectfiy this.

In addition CD Writing Wizard Sill says there is no cd in the drive. I have ensured that there is a tick in the enable recording on this drive box. DO you think that the problem could be with my DVD/CD rewriter, bearing in mind however that it records a cd ok using Nero

terryf 14:54 06 Sep 2006

Sometimes I have found this when I have a cd that has been written by Nero, so I use Nero to write the files, it is something to do with the technical format Nero has used to write and I expect some-one on the forum could explain the details.

micemews 15:03 06 Sep 2006

Thanks terryf. Perhaps I didnt explain myself properly. I cant get any cd (i.e not just ones recorded using Nero)to play, except with MUSICMATCH.

ACOLYTE 22:43 06 Sep 2006

You could always try un-installing Musicmatch as a last resort and see what happens.

Failing that you could try changing the default program,open my computer click tools/folder options then click the file type tab in the list that appears look for the file type you want to change,this could be MP3,CDA, there might be lots of different types of music files on your pc so i cant list them all but the two mentioned are probably the most used,so lets say you choose MP3 highlight this in the list when you do that it should tell you what program going to open that file type at the bottom "details for MP3 extension" if it isnt what you want click the change button and from the list that open's select the program you wont to use,make sure that the tick is in "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" click ok, then open a music file and it should open with what you selected.

It may be that Musicmatch has been made the default program for playing Audio cd's,then you would have to go into the options/settings of musicmatch and untick audio cd from the list of files it is accosiated with.

HTH.

Gordon999 09:23 07 Sep 2006

Sorry can't help with the CD burning issue. But regards you other problem. You try going the following;

click on start > go up to the top menu section > Set Program Access and Defaults. Have look through there and you might be able to set which player you want as your deafault player etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?