Cant copy files

clayton 10:56 05 Mar 2009

Hi I've been given a pc to fix but im unable to backup the files that i need to save, the option to copy is there but not paste, i have some recovery software but i cant copy that from the cd either, anyone have an idea whats up, pc is running xp home sp3 thanks.

Graphicool1 11:08 05 Mar 2009

Have you go memory stick? Put it in the USB drive, it'll show up in my computer. Probably as drive G: or something like that. Open it and Drag & Drop the files into it.

MAJ 11:09 05 Mar 2009

Where are you trying to copy the files to?

MAJ 11:10 05 Mar 2009

PS. What's wrong with the PC that it needs fixed?

Graphicool1 11:26 05 Mar 2009

Adding to what MAJ said, why did they think you could fix it?

clayton 11:33 05 Mar 2009

I've connected an external hard drive to the computer as with paste you cant drag files onto the external drive or anywhere.

Originally the pc crashed & one of her friends got it working again but we have this problem that she cant copy the photos off the pc.

I want to get the pics off & then do a fresh install of xp.

MAJ 12:13 05 Mar 2009

There's a couple of things I would try, assuming the PC is working and boots into Windows, it sounds as though it is.

1. Run updated scans with your antivirus and antimalware programs. I recommend using Mbam click here and Superantispyware click here they're both free.

2. Try "taking ownership" of the files. click here

canarieslover 12:15 05 Mar 2009

Try taking the hard drive out and using it in either an external case or set it as slave in another computer. Another option is to use a version of Linux that will run from CD and boot with this and try to copy files across to external hard drive.

clayton 12:21 05 Mar 2009

Thanks MAJ i'll give that a go tonight.

re connecting the hard drive to another pc i did try that, when you go in C Documents and Settings ect the main folders like Favorites, My Documents are not shown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone