Cant connect to wireless network,any ideas

toonal 19:15 27 Feb 2008

ok so i am connected wireless on my laptop but my brothers laptop is having trouble.

get this error when i try to connect from his ' wireless association failed because windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or connection point '

now i had this on my laptop before and re-installed the wireless network adapter and then applied windows updates which worked spot on..i have done the same on this laptop to no avail.

i suspect it maybe these vista updates that has made the built in network adapter incompatible!! please anyone correct me if im wrong :)

i also tried to remove the existing wireless connection and set it back up but the option to delete is greyed out, apparently this is set back when you install the network adapter again.

i have logged into the router configuration page to check settings which are ok. this is an unsecured network,open authentication but as you have probably already worked out this is a problem with laptop configuration/drivers.

laptop make is IQON (notebook) model M66SE
running Windows Vista Home.

can anyone help or point me in the right direction please

toonal 19:22 27 Feb 2008

the wireless adapter it currently has is realtek rtl 8187 wireless 802.11g 54mbps usb 2.0 network adapter.

wireless is turned on also

ambra4 09:44 01 Mar 2008

“Wireless association failed because windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or connection point “

First thing is the “Realtek rtl 8187 wireless 802.11g 54mbps usb 2.0 network adapter”

The build in wireless adapter card or a USB adapter that you connected to a USB port on the laptop

As I have never seen an integral wireless adapters connected via the USB bus.

If it is an external USB wireless adapter that you installed remove it and let look at the build in wireless card

Can you see the build in LAN and wireless card in device manager and Network Connections?

Right click My Computer on Desktop-Properties-Hardware-Device Manager

Open the Display Adapter by clicking on the + sign you should see two build in adapters a Lan card and a wireless card listed

To access Network Connections area

Start-Setting-Network Connection double click on Network Connections

Pop up window should show a Local Area Connection and a Wireless Area Connection

Right click on the local area connection Enable or Disable if not using Disable

Do the same for the Wireless Connection if Enable, Disable and than Enable

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will see the wireless system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?