Cant connect to Virgin Router.

birdface 19:33 16 Jun 2009

Hi.My Grandaughter cannot connect to her Router with Virgin.it has worked fine for about 8 months and her sisters is still connected.
She had a couple of DNS changer trojans on it about two weeks ago but it has not worked for a few days.
HP Laptop on Vista standard With Virginmedia as the ISP.It will work if you wire it straight to the router.
cable connection by the way.
brought it down my house and connected it to my Virgin with an ethernet cable.
i put my router on which i have only used once but forgot the username and could not remember it.But it did show 5 other wireless stations on it including mine.So thought it was Ok and took it back but is not showing any wireless connections at all in her house although her sister uses her laptop on it.
Plus I cannot get HP Wireless assistant to work so don't know if that could be the problem.Also used a few wrong user names trying to get it connected to my set up.
Now I know practically nothing about Vista and even less about Wireless routers.
So any help welcome.
I have the laptop with me but not connected.
but I could switch mine of and connect the laptop instead.I have also removed all the crap using C cleaner then winaso.

birdface 19:40 16 Jun 2009

I should have said that I gave it a good clean out when I found the trojans .I used Malwarebytes,A Squared.And AVG free.She has that much junk on here i gave it a scan With AVG last night I switched it to fast mode which was just as well as it took 2 hours.

birdface 20:33 16 Jun 2009

Just found Windows Defender on start up and have switched it off also in services it was set at automatic and switched that off.
That should not cause any future problems should it as we never used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?