Can't connect to Virgin Media - Help!

rob70 10:29 10 Apr 2008

Set up my Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium with Virgin Broadband a couple of weeks ago. Worked fine on a wired Ethernet connection for two days - then stopped. Network setting showed limited connectivity and no IPv4 address.

Virgin said a wireless router has interfered with my cable modem and their servers were refusing my account. They could not reset the account for 6 days due to server upgrades. After that time, they said my account / modem would be reset to automatically give me access to their servers.

Contacted them again and they said their modem was working fine, that my laptop was not allocating an IP address and not communciating with the modem. Virgin advised reformatting my laptop and trying again. So I've dutifully backed up my files, reformatted and... same problem.

However, I can still pick up the internet through an unsecured wireless router nearby, so I'm not convinced it's an IP address problem.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions / ideas.

Ashrich 21:22 10 Apr 2008

Have you at any time had a router ( wireless or otherwise ) in between your modem and laptop ?

Ashley

rob70 09:00 11 Apr 2008

Not of my own. I spoke to Virgin again last night and they reckon the files that allocate IP addresses on my PC are corrupt and advised getting it repaired. I feel an expensive trip to PC World coming on...

Ashrich 21:58 11 Apr 2008

Try this first , a TCP/IP stack reset , it is easy and may just sort things out for you . First of all , go to the start orb , , click on " run " and in the run box type , ( without the quote marks ) " CMD " and press enter , this will bring up a command prompt . In the black box type this ...netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt . While we are here , lets reset the Winsock as well . In the same black box type ...netsh winsock reset catalog ..press enter again . Reboot the system and try connecting to the network .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?