Cant connect using USB wireless adaptor

wobbler 20:21 12 Jul 2006

I am trying to connect a laptop to my home networkk using a USB wireless adaptor. The Icon the systray says its connected yet the network doesn't appear in "view wireless network connections" or does the wireless tab appaer in the nwireless network properties box. Hence I cannot access the net. Also when I run the ipconfig cmd there are no IP addresses listed. Any suggestions?

ade.h 20:34 12 Jul 2006

To save me typing out the same old advice about USB adapters, click here, read my advice and see if it works for you.

Another piece of well-worn but important advice: make sure that yor client firewall is properly configured, else you'll be going nowhere.

wobbler 20:56 12 Jul 2006

Thanks. Tried that but no change .

ade.h 21:22 12 Jul 2006

You need to be certain, in that case, that you are going through proper procedure. Something with which I can only offer limited help remotely.

What about your firewall? You haven't mentioned that.
What is the status of the device in Device Manager?
What about the status of Windows services that are required for network connections and device management? Copy them all here for me to read if you're not sure.

wobbler 22:24 12 Jul 2006

Just to save time, I tried the adaptor in another desktop running XP pro, loaded the supplied software and it worked OK. So is it a problem with the settings on the laptop or XP home? In device manager 3 of the Network adaptors have a yellow asterix against them but windows wont allow me to remove them.

ade.h 22:42 12 Jul 2006

Then your laptop has a problem. You would not normally have more than two network adapters - one Ethernet and one W-LAN - excluding 1394, which of course is not really a network adapter (it just gets in there because you can network with it).

Can you post full details of these adapters? A link to screenshot would be good as well but not essential. The details are the most important bits.

wobbler 22:51 12 Jul 2006

Got to call ot a night now. Will post details tomorow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires