Can't connect today...

nick_j007 11:20 25 Jan 2007

Hi all,

I have a wireless netword that feeds a desktop in the office, and a laptop downstairs.
From time to time I might lose the connection and I simply remove the power from the router and place it back again. A re boot and all is well. This might be needed once every couple of months on average and always sorts it.
Today I cannot get any joy, and what's more confusing is that on both Pc's I can see that there is a signal and indeed a connection but I cannot make the connection complete to view a web page ;(

It's a secure network, but I'm not being asked for a WEP key...I shall look at that now.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

FreeCell 11:37 25 Jan 2007

Check the DSL lamp on the router to make sure that the broadband line to the exchange is functioning. (Assuming BB not cable)

nick_j007 11:38 25 Jan 2007

I tried a restore point to Monday but no joy.

Can't find the WEP settings!

Doing this on my partner's laptop on her work network.

Nick

nick_j007 11:51 25 Jan 2007

Yes, it's a BB connection.

I'm using a 3Com ADSL wireless Router 11g.

All four green lights were on and the activity light is flashing too.
I have four green lights showing labelled
Power
Sync
WLAN

There are also four other places for lights but none are lit up. These have the words LAN status above them, and are labelled 1234. Don't think these are normally lit up anyway.

So basically, everything seems entirely normal in terms of lit lights and the normal reception icons on the PC's but no actual connection!

Hoping someone can rescue me.

Nick

nick_j007 12:30 25 Jan 2007

not sure why, but it's now all back to normal.

jeeees.

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?