Can't connect to some websites with ADSL

OldBob 22:38 10 Nov 2003

I have a problem with just a few websites, or some components of some websites failing to down load on ADSL. They work fine when I use dial up. It seems to have started when I networked (DLINK 504 router) a win 98 and a win XP m/c. I had two win 98s networked with NETBUI before this with no problem. To get the XP to work I changed to TCP/IP for the network and internet. I've checked the network dialog boxes and can't see anything wrong. Could I be missing something?

thanks

A_World_Maker 22:57 10 Nov 2003

Have you got a Firewall on your router?

OldBob 17:16 13 Nov 2003

I've been away on a business trip so Ive just looked at this question again. The router firewall IP filter is disabled. (I have zone alarm on this computer.)

OldBob 21:34 13 Nov 2003

more on this:
I contacted my ISP again & they gave me DNS addresses to enter in the control panel, TCP/IP network dialog box. This seems irrelevant because it's the same as dialup which works ok. It does seem to work BUT I have also rebooted the router. Anyway, now no problem.

When I set up the 98/XP network I used the advice on click here I even paid the £5 to see the graphics. The result was no internet and no network so I put everything back - I think and just changed the network from NETBUI to TCP/IP. I can recommend the jokes on wown.

Wish list:
replace all the little dialog boxes with a few pages that can easily be screen printed.

When I get my new computer next week I will experiment with this one but leave it alone for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?