Can't connect to router

irection 12:21 08 Jan 2009

Ahhhhhh i'm going mad

I've got a Acer laptop with Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC.A while ago my wireless connection to my Lynksy router stopped working don't know why but i assumed the router was broken.So up untill now i've just had laptop wired straight into the Virgin cable modem and works fine.I have just got xbox live so wanted the wife to be able to use the laptop while i was online so dug out the old Lynksy thought it would work wired instead of wireless.It did'nt and i could'nt even get into the router config so chucked it and got a Safecom SBRU-10100 thing is same problem i can't even get into the routers config again.I went to the shop and they said it could be a software problem.

Any help would be great thanks in advance

dawood 13:47 08 Jan 2009

Press the reset button at the back of router for 30s-60s while it's power on, after that open a webpage to access router management page again: click here

dawood
Home Network and Wireless Network Help click here

irection 19:45 08 Jan 2009

Cheers but done that before and just tried it again still can't access router management

dawood 01:50 10 Jan 2009

You need to set computer with the IP sits in the network same as wireless router, so you can only access and configure it. you can set your computer IP as 192.168.1.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

After that ping the router IP 192.168.1.1, if ping works then go ahead to access the router's management page.

Linksys default username: (leave it blank) password: admin

irection 14:31 14 Jan 2009

Just tried to ping the router through command promt and 100% packets lost.

Anyone anymore ideas thanks

ambra4 23:58 14 Jan 2009

“I've just had laptop wired straight into the Virgin cable modem and works fine”

To connect any router to a cable modem you need to do the following

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for five minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection

(Recognized by its MAC address); and the IP address that it has allocated to it

After 5 minutes power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router.

When the router is fully up and running, power on the PC.

The Cable Modem will recognize a new connection and allocate a different IP address to the router

The router will allocate an IP address to the computer

irection 20:20 15 Jan 2009

Cheers anbra4 just tried that twice and still no joy.I'm starting to think its the router thats faulty but i also had trouble with wiring my last router up.Just annoying i can't even access the router managment on both routers i had.Its either that both are faulty or someone said in a shop i went to that it could be a software problem.I am going to flatten the laptop and reinstall XP see if that works but i am gonna have to send for XP so any advice in the mean time any advice would be good.

Cheers guys so far

ambra4 23:07 16 Jan 2009

Reset the router by pressing and holding for 10 seconds the small reset button at back of the router and try again

irection 21:41 18 Jan 2009

Yep done that still nothing

ambra4 23:55 18 Jan 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?