Can’t connect PC & laptop to internet simultaneous

Onizuka 11:44 03 Dec 2009

Thanks to advice from mgmcc in a previous query I have been able to connect both my PC and my laptop to my network, the PC plugged in to the Router via an Ethernet cable and the laptop wirelessly. However, although each will connect to the internet when the other is switched off, they will not both connect at the same time. If the PC is already connected when I switch on the laptop, the laptop will connect to my network but with “Limited Access” or “No Internet Access” appearing when I click on the icon. Similarly, the PC will connect only to my network but not the internet if the laptop is already connected.

I assume that the fact that my PC is running Vista and the laptop is running Windows 7 has nothing to do with this problem but I would have expected two of us to be able to connect the internet simultaneously. Can anyone tell me if this is a question of getting the right settings somewhere, a faulty Router or something else please?

birdface 19:08 03 Dec 2009

Do you have to connect to a Modem first then to the Router.
If so try switching the Modem and the Router off.leave off for about 2 minutes and then switch the Modem on.Then a minute later switch the Router on. See if that makes any difference.
Whatever is hardwired to the router should probably work all of the time.

mgmcc 19:52 03 Dec 2009

When you connect with the first of your computers and get a satisfactory connection to the internet, what IP address does the PC have?

It should have a LAN address in a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x range, allocated by the router. If it has the "internet" address allocated by your ISP, then something isn't set up correctly.

Onizuka 16:40 06 Dec 2009

Thank you both for your responses. I haven’t ignored them but since Friday morning (when I first saw them) I have had both computers on simultaneously several times and each has fully connected to the internet and stayed connected. My original problem appears to have solved itself without any action on my part so I am baffled. I have another problem in that my PC and laptop cannot connect to each other but I shall start a new thread on that and mark this one resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?