Can't connect to internet wirelessly

PC New 22:17 12 Jan 2007

Please help..I've spent 4 days solid in front of my computer trying to get on the internet via a wireless connection. I rec'd a Netgear DG834G from AOL along with all the neccessary cables. I also aquired a Netgear WG111 adapter for my desktop.I want to go wireless so my daughter can go on the net at the same time as me (using the new laptop I've bought her). I've configured the router using stage 1 of the AOL "Easyinstaller disk" but when I get to the next stage i get blocked at the end where it says "checking wireless access to router". it then comes up with a message saying "Wireless access to the router has not been established". Despite this I have a green light on the Netgear icon and my wireless connection icon on my desktop indicates that the signal streangh is excellent and the Status "connected". On the laptop, the wireless network is detected but reports "Limited or No Conectivity" On the laptop I cannot connect to Internet Explorer or AOL (although the laptop is also receiving a neighbours network and we can connect through that!!). One thing I have noticed on the Wireless Connection Tab is that in the activity box it reports that many hundreds of PACKETS have been sent but NONE rec'd. this means nothing to me but may assist someone in determining the problem. Please help for the sake of my sanity and marriage. I have tried AOL live help but they keep telling me how to set up the router etc. I am convinced that everything is set up correctly. I'm new to this game so I would appreciate any help (avoiding techno jargon if possible).

Strawballs 23:49 12 Jan 2007
  STREETWORK 08:34 13 Jan 2007

Assuming that the Netgear is connected to the main PC by wire...

1. On the PC you need to connect, click 'start', 'run' and type in "services.msc" without quotes.

2. Scroll down to wireless connection and right click it.

3. Click 'start'

4. right Click it again and click 'restart'

5. close the window.

6. Right click on the system tray icon for the adapter and click on 'view available connections'. This will pull up a window showing any available networks (and may list others in your area)

Note: If you do not see any connections repeat steps 1 to 6 again.

7. Choose the network you need to connect to and click connect. Here you will be prompted to type in the WEP Key, this can be found on with the routers documents or on the bottom label

It should now connect...

PC New 21:00 13 Jan 2007

Thanks for the advice but i still can't connect to the internet without wires. i did everything in the last entry and my wireless network is shown as connected. As mentioned previously, is it relevant that, in the activity box there are xxx amount of bytes sent but NONE received. Some people I've spoken to said is sounds like an IP address issue. Please help.

STREETWORK 21:52 13 Jan 2007

Is there a button on the router which is pressed to pair the devices?

If so press it and try to connect the lap top.

Doing this will acquire the router and may promt for the WEP key to be typed in.

Please turn off any firewall (windows) before running

Dan S 22:07 13 Jan 2007

If you can connect with wires, I suggest you go to your router's firmware (usually 192.168.0.1 for a Netgear) and turn off the WEP Encryption for the wireless and then see if you can connect to it. 'Limited or no connectivity' is often a result of connecting with an incorrect or faulty wireless key, especially if you're using the Windows Wireless configuration utility, because it would be too easy for it to come back and tell you it's wrong. It much prefers to pretend it's connected but tell you what it's telling you now. I'd give that a try and see what happens.

PC New 22:30 13 Jan 2007

Eureka !!!! Thank you DAN S. This has worked and i can now get wireless on my desktop and laptop. My only issue is that I obviously now have no security, how can I get this back? Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

STREETWORK 07:40 14 Jan 2007

WD Dan S, this was to be the next option but is less secure...

PC New 21:03 14 Jan 2007

STREETWORK..thanks also for taking the time to advise. For your info there was no button on my router so I could not try this. Any idea if I can now make my network secure having completed the actions outlined by DAN S.

Dan S 08:22 15 Jan 2007

My suggestion would be to turn it back on but only if you can either specify a new WEP key or get it to generate a new one. Once you've done this, make sure you tell your wireless card to disconnect (it will anyway, it just doesn't realise) and then refresh the detected networks so that it realises that it has to connect to a secured a wireless network rather than an unsecured one, and then enter your new WEP key.

If that doesn't work, my next suggestion would be to lock the router so that only recognised MAC addresses can access it wirelessly. Most wireless systems come with this option. If it asks you what the MAC address for your wireless network card is without detecting it itself, you can find out by going to Start>Run and type CMD. Once the black DOS-like prompt pops up, type IPCONFIG /ALL . You should be able to get it from there.

PC New 14:09 15 Jan 2007

Thanks again. It still wouldn't work with a wep key but I went to an advanced level of security TKIP and the problem seems to be resolved.Thanks again. (Much better service than AOL!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?