Can't configure Gmail imap with Outlook 2003

warthog01 17:01 15 Jan 2008

Outlook setup seems to be fine. I've used the gmail guide. However whenever I try to access my imap folder in Outlook, I get a message (0X800CCC0E) telling me the server can't be accessed and imap.googlemail.com is in offline mode.

Can anyone help me fix it?

Woolwell 17:33 15 Jan 2008

Check that your smtp is the same as your ISP.

warthog01 18:42 15 Jan 2008

Thanks, Woolwell

So if the Gmail configuration guide says it should be smtp.googlemail.com but I'm on a company network I should use smtp.companynetwork.com?

Woolwell 18:56 15 Jan 2008

That's right. I use IMAP and I have a different smtp at work and at home.

Woolwell 19:00 15 Jan 2008

Note I don't use gmail and it depends on how your company accesses e-mail.

warthog01 21:53 15 Jan 2008

No joy, I'm afraid. I still get the "server can't be accessed; googlemail.imap is in offline mode."

warthog01 22:10 15 Jan 2008

Woolwell

I lied! After the obligatory reboot, IMAP appeared with company smpt entered. Thanks!!

warthog01 13:03 16 Jan 2008

Woolwell--if you're still out there, my elation was short-lived. Last night, all my gmail folders transferred over to IMAP, but absolutely nothing has happened since. When I attempt a send and receive in Outlook, I get errors on the last two tasks:
1. Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on imap.googlemail.com. Error: Unable to connect to the server
2. imap.googlemail.com; folder: inbox check for new mail.Error: Unable to connect to the server.

Something obviously happened when I changed to smtp.company.com, but it's stalled out now. Any further ideas?

Thanks

Woolwell 15:04 16 Jan 2008

Hm - Is this happening at the same location as last night?
Suggest that you check your gmail IMAP settings again.
Check to see if you can view your gmail account via webmail.

warthog01 21:56 16 Jan 2008

Hi again Woolwell

The settings all look good and I can connect directly to GMail without difficulty. What confuses me is the error message which advises no access to the server and imap.gmail is offline. I've been connected to the server either wireless or cabled all day long.

It shouldn't be this tough!

Woolwell 23:43 16 Jan 2008

It's the gmail server that's referred to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?