Can't complete chkdsk without BSOD

thewasp 08:22 27 Aug 2006

I have a seagate 160gb SATA HD which started becoming a bit erratic.

When I turn the PC on, chkdsk will attempt to fix any errors, but before completing will always cause a BSOD (viamraid.sys).

I have reinstalled the SATA driver without improvement.

It is used as a slave disk with no operating system which makes life easier, but is there a way to fix it without formatting?

wee eddie 08:37 27 Aug 2006

Seagate have a down-loadable tool on their site that can be used to find out what may be wrong with your disk.

That is the sum total of my knowledge on this subject and I am not even that sure of it.

thewasp 08:42 27 Aug 2006

Thanks. I have run the Seagate online drive utility, these also causes a BSOD before completing.

wee eddie 14:55 27 Aug 2006

It may be worth checking simple causes, like cleaning the fans, filters and ducting before giving up.

The reason that I suggest this is that you are saying that the PC runs for a while before your BSOD.

thewasp 23:25 27 Aug 2006

Have found some corrupt files, and have now formatted the HD.

All seems to be working perfectly, when occasionally the drive will stop responding as if there is a bad connection.

All leads are new and securely connected.

On the error log the cause is down to viamraid, is this likely to be a software or hardware issue? The drivers have been reinstalled.

wee eddie 23:45 27 Aug 2006
  thewasp 09:52 28 Aug 2006

Thanks

Don't think this affects me, I'm running Windows XP Home.

The RAID driver is VIA VT64XX 3.00

thewasp 04:21 29 Aug 2006

Doubled checked connections again - power lead to the drive was bowed and making poor contact, after replacement all seems to be well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone