Can't change folder view options in Vista

athanateus 12:18 04 May 2008

I have a really annoying problem which means that I can't make any changes to the Folder Views or the Taskbar on my Vista Laptop anymore.

This used to work fine - go into a Folder select Tools>Preferences>Views and make a change (e.g. Show File Extensions) then the display should change accordingly. Similary right click on the Start Menu page or Taskbar and made a change to the display settings (e.g. unlock the taskbar) and that should change the display.

Now nothing happens. No change to the view at all.

This also means that the Start Menu doesn't show the most Recent Applications used and also doesn't show the Recent Documents..

Chasing through the FAQs on the Microsoft web pages I see that there is a section on...

'You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista'

but it doesn't tell you what file you need to change (and I can't be sure thats the right solution anyway)

Can anyone help me as this is now getting in the way of me using my laptop effectively...

Regards

Oscar

anskyber 12:32 04 May 2008

Are you running under full admin account?

athanateus 01:02 10 May 2008

yes I am

iambeavis 09:56 10 May 2008

I had a similar problem in that "Vista" wouldn't "Use Windows classic folders" or "Open each folder in it's own window". I discovered that, in order to do that, I needed to disable the Navigation pane - it may work for your problem.
If you wish to try it - open a folder, expand the "Organize" button, go to "layout" and disable the Navigation pane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?