cant burn dvd

The GnoMe 10:55 21 Aug 2004

hi all mylaptop has a dvd burner built in so i bough t some dvds from my local shop only cheap ones, but when i come to burn onto them in nero 6 i get as far as the burn stage but the burn button is greyed out, therefore not able to burn. could this be the disks as i can burn onto cd/r fine or do i have to do something to prepare the dvd's. i have tried to burn data, video etc but the burn is greyed on when i use the dvd/r

thanks
win xp home

The GnoMe 10:58 21 Aug 2004

p.s just had a look and it is not even recognising the dvd in my computer just the drive, it doesnt say new dvd or anything just d drive etc and the light is on on my dvd drive

Carafaraday 11:14 21 Aug 2004

Have you got the right DVD type (ie + or -) for the drive?

I had a similar problem which was sorted by buying Sony DVD's as opposed to Imation ones so it might be worth trying a different brand.

Hope either solution will help.

john-232317 13:46 21 Aug 2004

Excuse me for butting in ,but how do you tell which DVD`s you need ie + or -.

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-107D, i am using cheap Spanish Intenso discs and getting problem at end of burn, they are marked DVD+R, is this the problem ?

thanks in advance john

pj123 15:54 21 Aug 2004

When you run Nero 6 make sure you click on DVD as it defaults to CD. If you have Nero SmartStart there should be two buttons (top right) for DVD and CD.

SEASHANTY 15:58 21 Aug 2004

Pioneer 107D is dual format both + and - but as Pioneer Home DVD recorders use DVD-R discs try some of them using the Ritek G04 dye. Verbatim DVDR discs are also very compatible with Pioneer but more expensive.

john-232317 17:58 21 Aug 2004

Cheers mate will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017