can't bootup

jollyjoyce1 20:50 13 Jun 2009

Hi, can anyone help please.
I don't know waht I did wrong but now when I want to boot up computer, it won't boot up.
It stops at the options to boot up in safe mode etc and no matter which option I choose it comes back to that page.

Terminus90 20:54 13 Jun 2009

it sounds as if you have a root disk error or a virus. either way a re-install of windows becons, sorry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 13 Jun 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

jollyjoyce1 22:05 13 Jun 2009

Would you believe I don't have XP CD?

My computer is an old Tiny model and no separate CD came with it.

Do I need to take it to a repairer?
Maybe the dustbin is an easier and cheaper option!

I do have a separate backup on an external hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 13 Jun 2009

What sort of backup?

An image of your drive? If so then restore the image using the rescue disk you should have made with your imaging software.

jollyjoyce1 22:19 13 Jun 2009

ok, thanks.

birdface 23:29 13 Jun 2009

See if it will actually start in safe mode.keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and see if you can boot into safe mode that way.If so last good configuration or system restore.

birdface 12:56 14 Jun 2009

Or maybe try using the Windows logo on your keyboard or ctrl Alt delete at the same time and see if it takes you into Task manager.

birdface 13:02 14 Jun 2009

If the worst happens and you need to reformat.Borrow a disk from a friend or neighbor with the XP that you are using.Home.Pro.or whatever.Use that and add the keycode on the side of your computer to finish the installation.
not sure if you can do a repair or not using a borrowed disc.

jollyjoyce1 15:49 14 Jun 2009

Thanks buteman, will give these a try but doubt I will have luck......will either scrap or pay to have it reinstalled if neccessary.

Nothing I tried was taking me to task manager.

trouble is that in my experiance none of these computer makers and sellers issue buyers with discs for these problems!
Another day in paradise........ .as they say..........

Strawballs 16:01 14 Jun 2009

I have no experience of tiny but if you tap F10 during bootup will that take you to hidden partion for restore, do you still have handbook from new?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone