Can't boot up without hitting F1

Liteman 23:33 22 Oct 2006

I made the mistake recently of hitting the Del key at start up to check the BIOS. The reason for this is that on boot up my CD tray shoots out & stays there & I wanted to see if anything in the BIOS was causing this. I must have "touched" something as when I boot up now, I have to press the F1 key to make the machine boot up. Has anyone a clue as to what I may have done.
For info the Motherboard is an MSI 865GM2, BIOS is Phoenix Award BIOS

ed-0 06:16 23 Oct 2006

You most probably have altered a setting and the bios does not like it.

You have two options.

1) is to go through and check each setting, not as bad as it sounds. But you would need to know what hardware you have. e.g. hard drives, optical drives, exact spec of cpu, memory and if you have a floppy drive.

2) set the bios to save defaults. This would reset all, but it may have your system running slower than it should.

Of course it could be that you battery is flat. Is the date and time accurate in the bios?

Taff™ 06:44 23 Oct 2006

I`m working off memory here but I can check later. The setting you need to change is something like "Halt on error" and it`s probably set to "keyboard" (Suspect you have a wireless one maybe) Change it to another value.

Taff™ 06:45 23 Oct 2006

By the way it`s probably a Phoenix BIOS and this is the default setting!

Quiller. 08:54 23 Oct 2006

" the Motherboard is an MSI 865GM2, BIOS is Phoenix Award BIOS "

" By the way it`s probably a Phoenix BIOS "

Spot on there. lol

Taff™ 12:40 23 Oct 2006

The setting is under "Standard CMOS Settings" and is, as I thought called "Halt On". Use arrow keys to select it then Enter. You will have options for:

All Errors, No Errors, All (Except Keyboard/Disc/Disc/Key) - Choose No Errors - It works for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone