Can't boot windows XP

reeceh 23:46 16 Jun 2007

My sister's computer will not boot and I strong suspect that it is because of something one of her three sons has done.

When I attempt to boot her computer, the Windows XP screen comes up briefly, then goes to the clack and white screen with the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode With Command Prompt options are available. It doesn't matter option select, The Sony Visio logo briefly appears and then the Options screen returns. There is brief Windows message at the top of the screen which says:

Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this. Is there a way of creating a Boot/Disk or ROM from another computer with an XP operating system, or does the boot disk have to be made from another Sony Computer? If I choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Command Prompt as one of the options, I get a multi-line scroll which says Multi(0)disk rdisk(0) partition(2)

If Anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

beeuuem 00:01 17 Jun 2007

If you get to Safe mode have you tried 'Last Known Good Configuration'?

rupie 00:37 17 Jun 2007

I agree, if you can boot into safe mode try restoring to the last known good configuation. It sounds like a nephew has done something by mistake and xp is not happy. if htis does not cure this then something major has been done.

beeuuem 01:11 17 Jun 2007

Received by mail
'I have tried The Boot from last known good configuration prompt. Any other suggestions?'

It helps if you post on the forum as it gives others a chance to see what has been tried and offer other suggestions.

When you boot to Safe mode with command prompt do you reach a command prompt?
If you do you could try click here

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
(This will open System Restore)
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

reeceh 01:21 17 Jun 2007

beeuum, I cannot get to the command prompt.

beeuuem 01:35 17 Jun 2007

Do you have an XP disk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 17 Jun 2007

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RecycleBin Missing
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?