Can't boot-up Windows Me

Resolution 21:39 12 Nov 2007

Hi,

I was switching off Windows Me on my other system when I accidently did something. The screen changed to all black with a message saying C:\windows>

Everytime I re-start I gedt the same message and nothign seems to work. Is there anytihng I can do or a command I should type in? Thanks.

Gerry

SANTOS7 21:45 12 Nov 2007

Have you tried starting in safe mode (pressing F8 as you start up) and selecting "last known good configuration"

brundle 21:51 12 Nov 2007

type

scanreg /restore

at the prompt, select the oldest backed up registry file. don't keep trying over and over as all the backed up files (5 previous backups if i recall) will get overwritten with new (and potentially useless/damaged) versions.

Resolution 21:53 12 Nov 2007

Thanks Santos. I can get into safe mode, but there is no option to start last good configuration.

If I go to re-start or shut down from the safe mode screen, I just get the same error message back again

Resolution 22:01 12 Nov 2007

Thanks, Brundle. Tried this. No luck eith that option. It restores the oldest registry tells me to reboot, but then starts with the same problem. ALso just realised its Windows 98, not Me. Sorry?

Gerry

Resolution 22:02 12 Nov 2007

Sorry Santos - its Windows 98, not Me!

Gerry

brundle 22:27 12 Nov 2007

If none of your registry backups or Safe mode work and you don't have a recent system backup a re-install is the only way to get things up and running again.

SANTOS7 22:40 12 Nov 2007

Could try this,but if that doesn't work i fear the worst,a clean reinstall loosing all data..

Enable CD-ROM boot in the bios or use a boot disk with cdrom support.
Put your Windows 98 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive. Boot the system
Navigate to the \Tools\Sysrec directory on the CD
In the Tools\Sysrec\ directory, type PCRESTOR
Follow the onscreen prompts through the minimal Win98 install

brundle 22:58 12 Nov 2007

Never knew about that one Santos7

Resolution; you need not lose everything. At the command prompt, rename your Windows folder oldwin, your "Program Files" folder, oldprogs, "My Documents" olddocs as follows;

ren windows oldwin

ren "program files" oldprogs

ren "my documents" olddocs

quotes required for names with spaces.

Then reboot and re-install. Copy your setup files, emails, documents etc out of the old folders when everything is up and running again.

Switcher 00:36 13 Nov 2007

In win 90 could be a corrupt autoexec.bat file or config.sys file. Use win98 startup disk to start up in dos and rename both files to Auto.bat and con.sys Try a restart if that works, then find the file autoexec.bak and change extension to bat.
change the file config.syk extension to sys

Switcher 00:37 13 Nov 2007

Sorry win 98 of course

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?