CAN'T BOOT, EVEN FROM XP CD OR RECOVERY DISK

MikeGR 09:43 01 Nov 2005

This is driving me mad! Had a problem with XP last week and had to reinstall. I went to MS site and downloaded all of the updates it told me I required. Everything fine, but screen refresh a bit slow.

My machine told me that more updates were required last night so I downloaded those. It told me to restart. When I did, it boots only as far as the Windows screen (the grpahic bar that shows it's doing something, then I get a flash of a blue screen (for about 0.00004 secs!) before it powers down.

I've tried pressing F2 and setting boot from CD, but it ignores my request. I've tried getting the screen that means I can either open in safe mode etc, but it ignores my requests to move the cursor and remains on Start Windows normally...

It's only about a year old, P42800, I've had to reinstall windows twice before. Am i, to coin a phrase "up a creek!".

Would really appreciate any help to get this going again, really missing my online poker!

Chegs ® 10:15 01 Nov 2005

Having had more or less the same kind of hassles with reinstalls,I ended up leaving my PC off for several hours,and then tried reinstall.It worked,and was able to get it running again.

Other occasions,I have had similar issues,it has been attributable to iffy stick of RAM,overheating PSU,overheating CPU,failed PCI LAN card,IP address conflicts(even though I hadn't been given any cfg options,turned off onboard LAN and it installed no probs)failed HD's,USB card reader,and on and on.

Try removing all non essential parts,HD's,etc,and with just enough bits to install,run the install again.

You could try to get at the startup items from Recovery Console,but I aint a clue how you do this.I restored my PC recently(from image)only to have AVG update itself,restarted PC and got BSOD.I ended up using another much older image then reinstalling the drivers for the additional hardware added since this image was created.

MikeGR 13:47 01 Nov 2005

Thanks, that all sounds really complicated! I can't get to see what the message on the blue screen says because it powers down immediately!

I reckon I'm looking at a new PC? Are these sort of things generally repairable?

Clutching at straws now!

Chegs ® 14:18 01 Nov 2005

Most PC hardware faults can be rectified simply by replacing the faulty component.The tricky bits sussing out exactly which bits (perhaps) gone awol in yours.

JETYS 14:21 01 Nov 2005

I am no expert but with a situation such as this I would try to use system restore to a date before that download.

Re updates from MS again I would wait for a service pack, I believe a service pack 3 is to be released.

MikeGR 14:44 01 Nov 2005

I'm going to mess around a bit more this evening, it's only Chelsea on TV! Just a thought, anyone know if I can uninstall everything and start again from scratch? I don't run tons of programs, just IE, iTunes and MS office occasionally. It would be easy to load them back on and I've got most data stored elsewhere.

Better than spending another £500 beforer Xmas!

Chegs ® 15:00 01 Nov 2005

To wipe the drive,use either XP CD and run Recovery Console,at the C:\Windows prompt,try Format C: [Return] or d/l a 98se boot floppy click here and run it,again at the A:\ prompt type FORMAT C: [return] or you can use FDISK to delete the partition,but it will need formatting again to install windows.This is best done with the XP CD,as you can chose "Quick Format" especially handy if you've got a large C: partition.

Chegs ® 15:12 01 Nov 2005

click here Wrong boot disk,thats for 98 this ones 98se.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 01 Nov 2005

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

MikeGR 09:06 02 Nov 2005

Thanks all for suggestions.

The problem I have is that when I change the settings to boot from CD initially it says 'press any key to boot...". When I do nothing happens, and it doesn't seem to recognise that is what I want to do!

Then I get a flash of a blue screen before it powers down. I've tried reading the screen but it's only up for milliseconds! It does make mention of winsrv?

I found out I've only had the pc for 11 months so I'm onto the manufacturer - who no doubt will invalidate my claim as I've installed firewire!
Any other assistance would be appreciated greatly!

Freddog 09:10 02 Nov 2005

Err have you got your keyboard plugged into USB??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?