Can't attach MS word document as an icon to word

oo7juk 16:31 27 Jan 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to attach a word doc using the following method:

Insert/object...

I can do it if I want to attach a pdf. When I click OK it opens window and lets me browse for doc to attach. When I try to do it for word I click OK and it opens a blank word document?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Clapton is God 16:57 27 Jan 2010

Try Insert/File

Sea Urchin 17:19 27 Jan 2010

What email program are you using? If you can successfully browse to a PDF file then you can surely browse in exactly the same way to a Word doc.

VoG II 18:30 27 Jan 2010

This worked for me in Word 2007.

Insert > Object > From File > Browse button > Select the file and click Open > tick Display as Icon > click OK.

oo7juk 23:29 27 Jan 2010

Hi,

Thanks for responses.

I'm using word 2003 (work) and my email is lotus notes.

Vog - I tried your method and it worked ok. Earlier I used the following option:

Insert/object/create new. I used this method re attaching PDF.

The word document I'm creating will be sent to a third party, will they be able to open document using the your method:

insert/object/create from file

I thought the above worked like a hyperlink and could only be opened on the same path/server and not e.g. if I sent document to you.

Thanks.

oo7juk 08:28 28 Jan 2010

Further info-

When I double click document/object either Word or PDF the document title is as follows:

Document in H:\.....

Does that mean only people in my work plave who have access to this drive can open object?

This word doc with objects attached will be getting emailed to another company outwith so they can view attachments.

Thnks,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?