Can't activate Windows XP firewall

doveys 20:22 12 Jul 2006

Help! Until recently, my laptop used AVG anti-virus and Windows Firewall behind my Belkin router firewall. Quite suddenly, and for no reason that I can find, Windows Firewall is no longer active. The system gives me the message to activate it, but when I try I get the message 'Sorry, the Security Centre could not turn on Windows Firewall, try it yourself through Control Panel'. When I try to start it through Control Panel I get the following message 'Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall Settings'. I have been to the MS Knowledge Base with no success. I have no viruses that I can find, nor spyware, etc. Does anybody out there have any ideas???

ade.h 20:29 12 Jul 2006

"Windows Firewall is no longer active"

Lucky you! Seriously, it's a pathetic excuse for a client firewall. A lot of people have trouble keeping it turned off, so you're better off than them.

If you want a client firewall, use a decent one, like Outpost Lite, Kerio (free spec) or Netveda.

And turn off security status notifications via the Security Centre.

doveys 20:36 12 Jul 2006

Ade.h - Agree with you wholeheartedly and have already turned off the staus notices. But I would still like to know why Windows can't turned on its' own damned firewall!!
Thanks

ade.h 20:39 12 Jul 2006

You're not alone in experiencing this particular issue; as to why.... someone at MS might know, but they've not let on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?