Cant Acess my Backup Hard Drive

RobCharles1981 20:44 22 Jan 2007

For some reason I cant access my back up hard drive it says:

"D:\ is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and readable"

I have done no changes at all - I tried doing chkdsk /r but has no affect.

How can I get access to my hard drive??

RobCharles1981 21:14 22 Jan 2007

Anyone enlighten me???

RobCharles1981 21:29 22 Jan 2007

"Bump"

woodchip 21:46 22 Jan 2007

What if you put the drive in your computer? rather than in the caddy. Can you then get to the files? don't forget you will have to change the jumper on the drive to slave if you connect to the same ribbon as main drive. or it may work as Cable Select

RobCharles1981 21:48 22 Jan 2007

I don't have a caddy!! The Hard Drive is already in my Computer - Shall I try a system restore to when it was working last???

STREETWORK 21:50 22 Jan 2007

Try and boot into safe mode and see if you can access it from there. Could be that you have a corrupt driver and can fix it from safe mode...

woodchip 21:55 22 Jan 2007

I don't think that will correct it. It looks like the MBR of that drive is corrupt. I have used TestDisk in the past to get a Partition back up and working. click here

The alternative would be to try a Win98se Boot disc

from click here after you download the file put a Floppy in the drive then double click on the file. it creates the boot disc.

But for me I would go with Test disc as there is no way to control 98 boot floppy.

Where as testdisk will look for and correct the unreadable drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 22 Jan 2007

FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2

If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR.

Run fixmbr from a command prompt.

RobCharles1981 22:00 22 Jan 2007

Street Works Suggestion didn't work Ile give your suggestion Woodchip a go right now

RobCharles1981 22:10 22 Jan 2007

Which should I do first Wood Chips or Fruitbats suggestion???

RobCharles1981 22:26 22 Jan 2007

????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?