can't access windows after power loss during boot

murraymints 14:13 18 Feb 2008

Bios info appears on screen on boot up, but everything then stalls and windows does not boot. HD light goes out and cursor stops flashing, leaving a black screen.

Can you help ?

Murraymints

€dstowe 15:48 18 Feb 2008

I had a similar thing with one of my machines some years ago. There was a power failure during bootup just as Windows had started to load.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but, I never got the machine going again even though I replaced the hard drive. Fortunately, I had a full backup so I didn't lose any data.

Technotiger 15:54 18 Feb 2008

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode? keep pressing F8 on start-up.

deadwoodman 15:54 18 Feb 2008

if you are running xp, then put your windows disk in, tell the computer to boot from disk, dont install window use the recovery by typing 'R' when prompted (not automated) when it starts type 'help' you will see a list of commands, look fo fixmbr (fix master boot record) also checkdisk, this should fix your boot record !

woodchip 16:02 18 Feb 2008

If this is a Desktop Remove the power plug from Wall socket, then press and hold start button on the Comp for about 10 seconds. Then try restart as normal.

If a Laptop you will also need to remove the battery

This clears all built up power on the motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?