Can't Access Relatives Web Cam

cylon 21:11 14 Jan 2006

One of my relatives moved to Spain recently and I gave them a web cam so we could keep in touch.

They have successfully accessed my webcam, which acts as server, across the net, but I cannot access theirs.

We are both on ADSL and both connected at the time of trying. The husband, who is as an amateur, just like me, at this networking stuff tell me that he is on a PPPoE connection, what ever that is. He tells me it is more like a dial up connection as he sometimes has to tell hsi modem to connect.

Could their ISP be blocking the connection ?

daxian 21:28 14 Jan 2006

you will need to use something like a messenger program ...or the windows conferencing software to be able to do what you want to do .
i use windows messenger in xp to talk to my brother in america and this works quite well when doing the webcam thing.

spargo 23:43 14 Jan 2006

Have a look here.
click here

Stuartli 00:16 15 Jan 2006

Skype2 has had video incorporated into the software rather than relying on the Spontania4Skype third party offering for about six weeks now. See:

click here

You would both have to install it, but I've been using Skype to chat to my daughter in the Caribbean for nearly two years and it works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone