Cant access Dell Recovery after Win 7 Upgrade!!!

dave726587 17:04 09 May 2009

Hi, i installed Windows 7 RC1 as an upgrade (i didnt format and i still have my recovery partition) but i decided to revert back to vista but it looks like Win 7 changed the recovery thing and made it look like this: click here

I press F8 when my computer turns on and go to advanced startup options and then press Repair my computer like i did before but now it takes me to a different repair section like the one in the picture above. How do i get it to read from the recovery partition like it used to so i can reinstall Windows Vista

The original repair thing looked similar to the one in the picture but it had the option to restore the computer to factory settings and i need to get it like that again so i can restore Vista. I'm sure it can be done since the recovery partition is still there with all the files.

The computer is an Inspiron 531

Please help me, im sure there is a way to make it work again.

Fingees 18:29 09 May 2009

Unfortunately, youshould have made a recovery disk prior to installing Windows 7

As I understand it, the recovery partition will not work, if certain parts of the disk have been altered.

I read it in the notes to read, before installing Windows 7

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 09 May 2009

Dell computers originally shipped with Vista preinstalled do not use the DSR system (Ctrl+ F11) as use with XP.

Microsoft Vista now includes its own built-in imaging application, ImageX, which is functionally similar to third-party Windows-based imagers such as Symantec Ghost, Acronis True Image, the freeware DriveImage XML, and others. ImageX is available from the Vista Recovery Environment, a boot option accessible by pressing F8 as soon as Windows begins to boot. Since this option is now built into Windows, Dell has taken advantage of that. Instead of providing a factory Ghost image to go with a proprietary DSR partition, Dell now provides a factory image in ImageX format that can be restored from the Vista Recovery Environment.

Dell's Vista systems ship with the following partition layout:

1. A small DellUtility partition, as before, and still disguised as type 'DE';

2. A NTFS partition (type '07') of about 10 GB, which is used by the Recovery Environment and holds the Dell backup image;

3. The main NTFS partition (type '07'), which contains the Vista operating system and occupies the bulk of the disk space.

4. If the system includes MediaDirect 3, there is a fourth partition at the end of the disk. This is an extended partition (type '0F') of 2 GB. An extended partition is a container for one or more logical volumes (sometimes referred to as "logical partitions" or, incorrectly, as multiple "extended partitions"). In Dell's MediaDirect 3 configuration, the extended partition contains a single logical volume occupying the full 2 GB. This logical volume contains the MediaDirect 3 operating system. The "partition type" flag for this volume in the extended partition table is--in the now familiar Dell fashion--disguised as type 'DD'.

As Windows 7 isn't too much different from Vista - If your'e lucky, using the "System Image Recovery" option may return your machine to its original settings using the stored dell ImageX.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?