Cant access certain web pages when wireless

Tipster82 19:23 02 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have set up my wireless internet and can access the internet, but some web pages wont load - in particular yahoo mail and hotmail.

I have a voyager modem connected to the phone line and then this is connected to a netgear wireless router.
If i connect directly to the modem with a wired connection then its fine, but connected via the router and it wont work.
I have the same problem with 2 different laptops.

Help!

ambra4 22:57 02 Nov 2007

Check the firewall setting in the router

If set to high change to medium

Dipso 23:46 02 Nov 2007

This sounds like an MTU value issue. I don't know how techy you are so -

You can either DIY by following click here

OR

Download TCP Optimizer from click here Install the program on your laptops, set the slider to your connection speed, select your network adapter from the dropdown menu and hit Optimal settings.

Tipster82 19:10 03 Nov 2007

thanks for the suggestions; the only firewall setting I can see on the router is for the SPI firewall - i tried disabling this (its either on or off) but it didnt make any difference.

Also I used the TCP optimizer software, it didnt seem to make any difference; but i then reduced the MTU size in the netgear router settings as well and all seeems to work fine now!

Thanks for your help - this has been driving me mad for a while - whats the point of wireless if you cant access all web pages.

Dipso 22:42 03 Nov 2007

Glad you sorted it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?