canoscan and vista

james66 14:23 06 Jan 2010

Hi Anybody know how i gan get my Canoscan N656U scanner to work on my new Vista laptop.
Had a look on Canon website no drivers for vista .
Is there a generic twain driver so i can get it to work ?
thanks James

Newuser939 15:24 06 Jan 2010

I don't think that it will work with Vista - see click here

Woolwell 16:44 06 Jan 2010

You could try compatible mode and see if it works. Create a restore point first so that you can unwind if things go horribly wrong.

Muergo 10:35 07 Jan 2010

I am going to have the same trouble with my Canoscan D2400U as Canon says no drivers for Windows7 which I am about to install.

They suggested that Windows might have one, what do they mean by that.
Apologies for jumping on your thread.

james66 11:28 07 Jan 2010

Tried compatable mode as sugested ,but still can't get it to work .
I tried the program as sugested "vuescan" and i can get basic scanning from the demo ,but whether i would purchase it is another matter.

Woolwell 12:12 07 Jan 2010

Unfortunately it looks as if you're stuck. This happened to me when I upgraded to XP some years ago and had to junk a scanner. I didn't have a problem with the move to Vista.

Woolwell 12:22 07 Jan 2010

Canon mean that Windows 7 may have drivers built in for it. But I doubt it. You should check here click here
I couldn't find your model.

It is worthwhile running the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor and see what problems you may face.

Peter Cooke 16:24 14 Jan 2011

I managed to fix my Canon Scanner LiDe30 / N1240U by going to:

click here

The page requests you to enter the required operating system and product model number.

I downloaded and installed the suggested

a) ScanGear Drivers
b) Toolbox Application

Then on the control panel/device manager I selected the option to look for drivers on the computer (rather than searching on line)

Having re-started the computer...

Bingo!

A dead scanner came back to life !

(Prior attempts to get Windows VISTA to search for drivers failed to fix the issue as the Canon recommendation is to use the Windows XP 32 bit driver on Windows VISTA.)

I hope this helps

Peter

Alan2 21:47 14 Jan 2011

Thanks Peter Cooke - I'm just marking this for future reference as I've a handful of Canon stuff and am looking to upgrade from WinXP to Win7 soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017