Canon S520 printer suddenly won't print

Nosmas 18:30 23 May 2004

System W98SE, IE v6.0 SP1, OE v6.0, AVG (up to date to 22/05/04) and Sygate v5.5

My two year old printer was half way through printing a 32 page .pdf document when it suddenly stopped printing and displayed an error message "there is a problem with the cartridge" or words to that effect. As I knew the yellow ink was running low, I immediately aborted the print job and installed a new yellow cartridge.

I then tried to restart the print job but although the small window showing the progress of the output to spool opened (as usual) in the bottom right corner of the monitor, there was an abnormally long delay before the main printer window (titled Canon S520 LPT1) opened, and when it did the Printer Status tab had a message "Printer not responding". It also showed Cartridge - unknown and Thickness lever - unknown.

Closing that window produced another small window (titled Printer folder) containing the message "There was an error to LPT1 for the printer S520. There was a problem sending your document to the printer. Make sure the printer cable is connected and that the printer is online. To continue printing click Retry". Clicking retry caused a repeat of the error message.

I have re-booted twice without solving the problem. Before the second re-boot I inadvertently knocked off the power supply with the result that Scandisk ran on re-booting, but it reported no errors. I have disconnected BOTH ends of the printer cable and re-connected them but without a result. I have also tried to clean the print head but again get the "Printer not responding" message.

When I try to print a document the printer switches itself on and "whirrs" (as usual) and the 'spooling progress' window opens as normal but then I get the "Printer not responding message"

All suggestions for the possible cause and remedy for the problem urgently welcomed.

Cuddles 19:04 23 May 2004

You mention unplugging and reconnecting the lead, have you tried another lead in its place, the strands are very thin and it only takes one to break to cause problems.

brambles 19:21 23 May 2004

I would try reinstalling the driver software that came with the printer - but before doing that a visit to Canon's website may identify a more up to date driver.

Brambles

Failing that those nice people at Canon will help you!

I would try reinstalling the driver software that came with the printer - but before doing that a visit to Canon's website may identify a more up to date driver.

Brambles

Brambles

Djohn 20:06 23 May 2004

It does sound as though you have corrupted a printer file and I think that you will need to re-install the driver for the printer.

Before doing that though check the Canon site as suggested by brambles and look for printer reset instructions for your model.

I too have a Canon [i850] and I believe there is a procedure for resetting back to default state but it may be different with each model.

The Epson I used to have also had this feature and it's a matter of finding the correct sequence of button pressing to enable it.

Canon site. click here Don't forget if you are going to re-install the driver then first remove all trace of present driver, reboot and install the software before connecting the printer. [If using USB]. The software will tell you when to connect and turn on the printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?