Canon printer/broadband connection

tonyq 19:55 13 Jan 2006

Hi all,
please can any one let me know if they have had the following problem and how to resolve the problem. I have just installed Canon Pixma ip5200 printer which works o.k. My problem is that when I boot my computer up (windows xp home) (norton i.s), both with all updates, then switch the printer on, I loose my Wanadoo Broadband (Wireless) connection. I had no problems with my previous printer (Epson 830).

I also loose connection when I use a USB Pen Drive both connected directly into computer USB ports (I had this part of the problem before installing canon printer)
Regards tonyq

mgmcc 21:03 13 Jan 2006

Is your "Wanadoo Broadband (Wireless) connection" via a USB WiFi adapter? If so, I suspect you are running too many "power hungry" USB devices and the bus cannot deliver the power required. You should be able to resolve the problem by connecting a USB hub with its own power supply and connecting the printer and Pen drive to that. I would be inclined to keep the WiFi adapter connected directly to one of the PC's own ports - WiFi is temperamental enough anyway!

woodchip 21:09 13 Jan 2006

You are overloading the USB sockets. Get a Powerd USB Hub or plug into different set of USB's like if they are plugged into the front plug into back ones. Or get a PCI USB card and use that

tonyq 10:09 14 Jan 2006

Will buy USB Hub and give it a try.
Thank you all for your replies.
Regards tonyq

woodchip 14:05 14 Jan 2006

Make sure it's a mind powered onr

tonyq 20:51 14 Jan 2006

Hi All
powered USB hub,problem fixed.
once again thank you all for your replies and help.
Regards tonyq

woodchip 21:13 14 Jan 2006

THank's for letting us know and for the Tick. Glad it sorted it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires