Canon printer turning off my PC

Algoz 13:01 19 Dec 2008

I have a Canon Pixma ip6600D printer connected to my PC (Windows XP SP3). Often, when I turn on the printer, it will cause my system to reboot. This also happens quite often when going to print a document. I have checked Canon's download centre, and I am using their latest driver (1.90b). Anyone had similar problem and found a solution?
Thanks

northumbria61 13:30 19 Dec 2008

Hi Algoz

I hope this may be of help to you.

1. I would suggest that you completely uninstall ALL software/drivers for you printer throught control panel ADD/REMOVE programs and unplug the printer power/usb cable.

2. Re-Boot

3. Download and Install the latest driver (1.90b is the correct one)

4. Connect and Run throught the setup procedure for the printer.

5. Hopefully, this should solve the problem.

Kind Regards

Northumbria 61

Algoz 15:52 19 Dec 2008

Well, took your advice, and uninstalled, and downloaded again 1.90. Upon installation, at the "detection" point, the computer turned itself off, and now I'm in a continual loop with the computer rebooting and turning itself on and off constantly.
Have had to pull the USB cable on the printer so it doesn't try to detect it.
Thanks for trying to help - should have left well alone!

ambra4 16:59 19 Dec 2008

Are you installing the printer software with the USB connected to the computer?

Most printers’ installation required that the software be installed first and when requested

by the program you than connect the USB printer

Is Windows seeing the printer if you just connect it to your computer without installing

the driver

^wave^ 17:16 19 Dec 2008

have you another usb port it sounds like the one you are using may be faulty

Border View 23:41 19 Dec 2008

Algoz - have you resolved your problem yet?

Algoz 10:40 20 Dec 2008

I managed to get the printer recognised again by my system. This morning, I turned it on and it didn't reboot the system, and when I printed a page of emails it didn't reboot the system. However, it was kinda sporadic anyway, so I am hesitant to say it is fixed. I will have to monitor it for the next few days to see if if the problem has gone away. Thank you everyone who has offered help. I'll report back in a couple of days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone