Canon printer slow to respond

Sea Urchin 00:00 27 Sep 2007

A friend has a Canon LBP2900 laser printer which has always been slightly sluggish to respond to a print order. However, in the last couple of days it takes anything up to 90 seconds or two minutes to respond to the Print OK button. Once it starts it prints perfectly. The only thing she has changed is connecting up to Virgin broadband via cable. Could this possibly affect the printer?

My gut reaction would be to uninstall and reinstall the print driver, but it looks to be quite complex with this printer, and I would like to explore other options first if there are any suggestions.

With thanks in anticipation

Derek 07:23 27 Sep 2007

Get in touch with Canon Support. You will find them by searching in Google. Best wishes.

Sea Urchin 09:17 27 Sep 2007

Thanks Derek - will do that

Arnie 10:05 27 Sep 2007

"The only thing she has changed is connecting up to Virgin broadband via cable. Could this possibly affect the printer?".

You do not have to be connected to a broadband service provider to use a printer.
Some people just use a computer for typing and printing data.

Switch off the modem and see if any changes take place.

Sea Urchin 10:28 27 Sep 2007

Thanks Arnie - yes, I appreciate that you don't need to be connected to use the printer - I probably didn't word the question very clearly. But I can confirm that the problem still exists with the modem switched off. I will not see my friend again until Monday so will report back after that.

Sea Urchin 10:28 27 Sep 2007

Thanks Arnie - yes, I appreciate that you don't need to be connected to use the printer - I probably didn't word the question very clearly. But I can confirm that the problem still exists with the modem switched off. I will not see my friend again until Monday so will report back after that.

silverous 13:18 27 Sep 2007

You don't say how exactly the printer is connected - is it USB / Ethernet ?

How is the cable connection performed - via network cable or USB?

Sea Urchin 16:42 27 Sep 2007

Very grateful for your input - both printer and cable are USB connected. I have also taken on board the suggestion about overriding spooling and will see if that helps.

I now have several avenues to explore next Monday so will report back after that. Again thanks to all who have contributed.

Sea Urchin 19:02 02 Oct 2007

The cause of the problem was a combination of the print spooling and the introduction of the broadband service. I have been in touch with the Canon support line (amazingly a free number) and they have been quite excellent. So thanks to all of you who made helpful suggestions.

Sea Urchin 19:04 02 Oct 2007

Resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?