CANON PRINTER BEING RECOGNISED AS USB

Ventad 09:59 02 Dec 2008

Why is my canon printer being recognised as a USB mass storage devise when switched on. This has only just happened over the last few weeks. Comes up as found new hardware! It is in Control panel 'printers folder' and properties say this is working correctly. VISTA O/S

chub_tor 10:04 02 Dec 2008

Well it is a USB device even if it is not mass storage and will be recongnised as being connected to a USB port. It shows up in Printers and is working which is correct.

Did you unplug it at some stage and then later on plug it into a different USB port? Then the New Found Hardware Wizard will kick in.

Ventad 10:11 02 Dec 2008

You may be right I had pulled the Computer out to change speaker cables about that time perhaps the USB became disloged at that stage because before turning it back I did push all plugs to make sure they were home. looks like a reinstall then.

ambra4 12:04 02 Dec 2008

“I did push all plugs to make sure they were home Looks like a reinstall then”

There is no need to reinstall just connect the printer to the correct USB port that the printer was

original connect to and label the USB port as the printer port

chub_tor 12:47 02 Dec 2008

It would have automatically installed the driver on the new USB port.

Ventad 12:59 02 Dec 2008

I have still got a problem, it still comes up as USB mass storage devise when switched on. looking in printers control panel USB 001 virtual printer port for USB - canon ip6600D.

Ventad 13:00 02 Dec 2008

I can click and remove it as hardware and it will still print

T0SH 15:22 02 Dec 2008

If the printer has memory card reader slots built in then the reader is correctly being found as a USB mass storage device

Cheers HC

Ventad 17:16 02 Dec 2008

Thanks every body and T0SH yes it does have memory slots built in take your point but I have had it two years and it has only just started doing it. I have just deleted the canon in printers folder and then added printer and it appears to have worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?