Canon Pixma MP640 installation question

polymath 18:15 22 Aug 2010

I gather it's a good idea to install some printers using the latest software from the manufacturer's website, bypassing the CD altogether. Is this possible (and preferable) with the MP640?

If so, has anyone found instructions for this? I've found the downloads available at the Canon site for the model & OS, but nothing about in what order to download/install the 10 pieces of software, how to install them, when to connect to the computer etc. (Or whether the software itself gives instructions).

Nontek 18:27 22 Aug 2010

I have never used Cannon printers, but I would suggest running the software in the same order as shown for download on the Canon site. It will probably give further instructions during the install, i.e. when to connect printer etc.

shellship 18:59 22 Aug 2010

Very important, as Nontek says, to do it in exactly the order instructed. Things can go wrong if you don't. When all fixed up, then, and only then, check for new drivers through the Canon software.

polymath 20:55 22 Aug 2010

Thanks Nontek and shellship. Looks as if I'd best play safe and use the CD then (after all, it won't take long to update the software later).

The suggestion of starting with the downloaded software came from reviewers of several printers, who had problems installing from the CD. I think I was forgetting to see it in the context of trawling through specs & reviews of about 80 multifunction inkjets! (Anyone want to know which ones fit their requirements? Seems a pity to bin that 2ft by 2ft chart...)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?