Canon Pixma iP4000 printing problems

Rebanut 12:02 14 Feb 2007

I have used the above printer for maybe 2 years but now I am having printing problems, colours very faint and also wrong colours, I have used all the options such as cleaning and deep cleaning but to no avail, any suggestions please.

Colin.

Rebanut 12:13 14 Feb 2007

As an add on to the above would it help if I replaced all the cartridges, I have a spare set and wondered as I do not use the printer frequently whether they clog up somehow.
Thanks for any help.
Colin

Totally-braindead 12:15 14 Feb 2007

In the first instance it would certainly make a great deal of sense to try new cartridges and then see what happens.

oldbeefer2 13:08 14 Feb 2007

I had this problem with a 3000 and got a cleaning kit from one of the cartridge suppliers - cleaned the heads themselves with this and cured the prob.

David4637 13:39 14 Feb 2007

You must use your printer every 2 weeks otherwise the ink is likely to clog the head. Even a test print of the 4 colours will do. David

The Kestrel 15:32 14 Feb 2007

I had a similar problem with my Canon Pixma printer. It turned out to be failure of the printhead, despite the fact that the printer was only 13 months old. Canon would do nothing as it was out of warranty!!! A new printhead cost £75 then only a few pounds less than the complete printer. Reluctantly I threw it away and bought an Epson R220 printer which has worked perfectly ever since.

Rebanut 19:09 14 Feb 2007

Thanks guys for all your help, I might try some cleaning cartridges which I believe you can buy, if not a new printer it will have to be.
Thanks again.
Colin

Totally-braindead 19:21 14 Feb 2007

If you want to try the cleaning cartridges suggestion first Choice do them click here

Al94 19:52 14 Feb 2007

Don't waste time with cleaning cartridges. Take the heads out, soak them for half an hour in a saucer of lukewarm water, dry with kitchen roll, re install and add new carts. This will cure it.

steve1ooo 19:52 14 Feb 2007

Are you using canon ink or compatables ?
I had a problem after using some cheaper cartridges that cleared up when i switched back to canon cartridges.

keef66 09:49 15 Feb 2007

I have a Pixma 3000; same story; sometimes not used for a while, head tends to block up. First time was in warranty so got a new printhead from canon. Now it's out of warranty I use compatibles and find printing a colour-intensive test pattern several times usually gets it going again.

(I did experiment with trying to unblock the original printhead with hot water, alcohol etc, but never succeeded)

For my next printer I'll go for one with print heads in the cartridges themselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?