Canon MV330i - How to Transfer tape content to PC

Marios 11:09 01 Jan 2006

Hi,
i was given a canon mv330i as a christmas present. i know almost nothing about digital camcorders. the instructions manual says nothing about transferring video and jpegs from the tape (mini dv tape). it says about the memory card content but HOW DO I TRANSFER THE CONTENT OF THE TAPE TO MY PC SO I CAN THEN EMAIL IT, MODIFY IT ETC ETC? also, please, how can i change the format to one the will play on a normal DVD player so i can burn a copy to send to the grandparents?
thank you so much and forgive me this is not a computer problem (though i have many of those too). my wife secretly read the reviews on PC Advisor and bought the camera for me and she has no interest in technology!!!) i would like to make the present a worthwhile investment.
thanks again,
Marios

BRYNIT 11:43 01 Jan 2006

This may help click here

pj123 11:56 01 Jan 2006

Generally you will need a connection cable from your camera. Most cables you need probably come with the camera. The best connection I have found for Digital though, is Firewire.

If you don't have Firewire then you will need some form of capture device. And also a capture program.

Have a look through some of these previous threads for more info. Although they mostly refer to VHS to DVD the basic principle is the same.

click here

Marios 12:30 01 Jan 2006

thanks but what spec do i need and hardware / software for the transfer? my pc is 5 years old now.

pj123 12:55 01 Jan 2006

My PCs are also fairly old and running Win 98SE.

Lots of RAM (at least 512mb, although I have one PC with only 256mb) A very large hard drive (mine are 160gb). A capture device, I use the Dazzle Fusion USB because it can then be plugged in to either computer. And a capture program. The Dazzle unit came with Pinacle Studio but I found it wasn't very good. I now use Sonic MyDVD. And of course, a DVD burner.

I doubt very much whether you will be able to email the results to anyone as the files will be huge. But you could put them on to DVD and snail mail them.

That's just a bit to be getting on with and of course only my setup. Others may have different setups, but do read some of the previous threads on my link.

PS. You can also buy a PCI Firewire card which comes with the connecting cable. I got mine from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?