Canon Lide 30 scanner set up.

Daibus 09:25 30 Aug 2003

I have just purchased and installed the Canon Lide 30 scanner and the results seem very good.

The pictures from the scan seem great but when I scan text, it is displayed very indistinctly, almost unreadable, but when I transfer the scan to a folder and then open it the text is a lot more distinct.

As this is my first scanner I was wondering if my settings are wrong and is it normal for the text quality to be very poor in the preview window and also while the document is being scanned ?

Many thanks.

Daibus, I've got the Lide 20, and the settings I'm currently using are;

Scan Mode: Colour Magazine
Image Quality: 75 dpi

This gives me good results when scanning my Album covers for CD transfer & text is also ok.

Apart from changing the paper size occasionaly I leave at this.

Just play around with the settings.

The Sack 13:16 30 Aug 2003

The results always look poor when you see them in the twain interface (scangear as canon call it) simply because you are looking at probably an A4 sheet in a little box.

BTW if you select advanced you will get much more control over how you scan things, i would not recommend scanning anything you intend printing out at less than 200DPI

Filch 16:13 30 Aug 2003

The Sack has it right. Use Advanced and a high dpi, at least 200. I always use at least 300 sometimes higher. Also, try greyscale and black/white. Depending on the document, one may give better results than the other.

woodchip 16:44 30 Aug 2003

If you do OCR you need 300dpi

alan 2273 20:10 30 Aug 2003

I have a Lide 30 and I always use 300 dpi and have had no problems with text or graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017