Canon IP4500 printer problem.

bruno 19:01 11 Mar 2010

I have a faulty printer head on this printer and they cost more than the price of a printer to buy.I wondered if anyone has a broken printer with a fault other than the head that could be canabilised. I had an IP4300 with a paper jam trouble which could not be cured and I dumped it about a month before this one went wrong, complete with a working head. I am fairly sure that the 4300,4500 and the 4600 all use the same head.
Here's hoping.

MAT ALAN 19:05 11 Mar 2010

have ya tried ebay...

click here

i did, give em a call ya never know...

Simsy 20:10 11 Mar 2010

I recently got a new head from;
click here

It's £40, which is a lot, I know, but my the head for my previous Canon was about twice that!

In my case, it's a good quality, fast, quiet printer, and I think it's worth it rather than the hassle of getting/installing a new printer etc.

(ps I know they use the same head as my dad has the 4500 and we swapped heads while faultfinding recently)

Regards,

Simsy

Input Overload 11:08 12 Mar 2010

Good link Simsy, saved.

bruno 19:29 13 Mar 2010

Thank you for your posts. They were very helpful. I have put in some bids on e bay and also earmarked the other site if nothing comes of e bay. In the meantime I have bought an Epson SX415 from Tesco at a very reasonable price. I have gone off Canon comletely as my ip4300 and ip4500 did not last two and a half years in total. They were very good printers but totally unreliable for me, and Canon did not want to know. They directed me to their local agent who wanted £2 more to service it than the printer cost.I bought a cheap ip2600 to tide me over and since October it has cost me £50 for two sets of compatible cartridges. God knows who can afford to use genuine ones at the prices being charged.

Input Overload 20:59 13 Mar 2010

I find Canon printers to be in a different league to Epson, they are better constructed & for me last far longer. I wouldn't have another Epson printer given me.

bruno 09:43 14 Mar 2010

You have to speak as you find. As I said in the post above, I like the usage and end product of Canon but I have had three in three years which have let me down. Don't worry, I will not be giving you an Epson .I had a Canon bubble jet which has lasted eight years and is now with another member of my family and still going strong.I did not find your post helpful.

Input Overload 10:14 14 Mar 2010

It was just my experience of using printers for 20 years. I was always brought up that to disagree was no problem, & certainly no reason to have an issue with or to feel attacked.

If you can';t deal with an alternative opinion that was none confrontational you really should keep out of forums, & maybe earth?

Having used both Epson's & Canon's for many years the above post is my current opinion - I reserve the right to change my opinion without notice however.

Sbrads 18:12 14 Mar 2010

If you use compatible cartridges then you can't expect a guaranteed long life. You may be lucky, you may not. I'm not against using them it's just a case of being aware of the possible problems. That goes for any make printer (apart from older HP's like my 5550! They refill or take compatibles no problem).

bruno 10:26 23 Mar 2010

Thanks for your post Mat Alan,I followed your suggestion and got the printer for £5.50. The print head was in good condition and the Canon is now working well again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017