Canon IP 4500 cartridge failure.

beeuuem 19:30 06 Jun 2008

In January I bought a Canon IP4500. As aprinter it works well - when it works.
Increasingly it will stop, giving an error message saying that a cartridge cannot be recognised. Usually removing and reseating the cartridge solves the problem. Yesterday halfway through a print job it stopped saying that the BK cartridge was not recognised. Reseated that and then received message that the Magenta cartridge not recognised.
I have cleaned the contacts and reseated it endlessly but it will not work.
Google reveals that this is not an unknown problem. Canon said they wil 'escalate' my query but have not as yet, responded.
Having always used Canon I am disappointed withthis or have I just been unlucky?

Technotiger 19:44 06 Jun 2008

I think you have just been unlucky - Canon are usually pretty much on-the-ball sorting problems.

wis 19:56 06 Jun 2008

yes i think technotiger is right normaly canon
good , bought jan, warranty send back new job,
not your problem

beeuuem 20:31 06 Jun 2008

I am hoping that will be the case but will have to wait until I hear from them. Especially as I have unused ink. I had thought they might respond today.
I'll leave this open until Monday so that I can post the good news!

beeuuem 18:13 19 Jun 2008

On Thursday of last week I received a letter and a replacement magenta cartridge 'as promised'. I don't know who it was that they made the promise to but it wasn't me as that was the first I'd heard from them.6 days after raising the 'incident'.

In the interim I'd bought a new printer. This was done as, at times, the printer would recognise the cartridges but give a '6502' error and not print. Being uncertain if this was a printer or cartridge error that was cheaper than buying a new set of cartridges from Maplin, the only local supplier, and finding the printer was still not working. After inserting the new set of cartridges the printer leapt into action.

Today I received a 'phone call from CCI, part of Canon (UK). They acknowledged that there was a faulty batch of cartridges. The implication was that most of these are included with new printers and they will replace the cartridge if asked.
The 6502 error is not referred to in any Canon documentation I can find and they offered no explanation as to the cause of this or how it may be rectified.
As to my costs, incurred as I had an assignment which had to be submitted last Tuesday, it was of 'sorry but tough'.

In the past any minor problems with Canon equipment have been resolved within hours, The next time I need a new printer or cartridges I shall vote with my wallet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone