Canon EOS 300D Power problem

Bestselling Author 08:52 11 Nov 2005

I have an intermittant problem on my digital Canon EOS300D camera - they're the best ones aren't they?

Sometimes when I switched the camera on nothing happens. If I switch it off and then back on again, nothing. Sometimes when the camera is switched on, it will suddenly turn itself off. If I turn the camera off and then back on again, nothing happens.

The only way I can clear the fault is to take the battery out - then reinsert it, and then turn the camera on. This has always worked. The camera was bought at a Photographic show at the NEC in Birmingham - I live in Wales and the shop is based in Essex, so it isn;t easy to pop the camera back to them. However, I paid to send it to them by courier and they sent it to a registered Canon Service Centre, who found no fault with the camera. The retailer has given me a brand new battery which I was a bit sceptical about because I already have 2 batteries and I experienced the same problem with both of them. And sure enough, less than 24 hours later, with the new battery inserted, I've had a problem with the power. Anyone got any ideas as I'm getting a bit peeved now!

961 10:00 11 Nov 2005

Damp in the camera? Poor contacts? Faulty shutter mechanism?

However, I suggest you e-mail Canon because you'll find that you can find camera forums that detail intermittent faults on this camera (Often shown as an ERR99 problem) If yours is going to go down this track it may be better to sort it under warranty

Bestselling Author 12:13 11 Nov 2005

I don't know what the problem is, but I'm concerned because a Canon Service Centre has already looked at the camera and given it a clear bill of health. And because it's a power problem, the LCD screen isn't on to show me any error codes! I'll try and email Canon again, but I've lost confidence in them as they think there's nothing wrong with the camera.

fazer 13:00 11 Nov 2005

How does the camera react when connected directly to the mains - if its ok then it is safe to assume that there is a problem with the battery connections within the camera.

If it is the battery connections, you then need to find out whether the battery is actually being charged in the first place (indicator light on charger?) or is the issue with a fully charged battery not allowing its power into the camera itself?

Another thought; does this problem occur when the camera is connected to your computer?

961 13:43 11 Nov 2005

If you type "canon eos 300d error 99" you'll get an indication that there can be an intermittent problem that the service centre can miss

There may be an issue with batteries that are not fully charged, but you obviously can't go round charging batteries every 5 minutes

If the camera is within warranty I would quite simply describe the problem you are having and ask Canon to either sort it to your satisfaction or replace the camera. They have a highly respected brand name, you have no doubt paid top dollar and, as a Canon owner myself, they need to sort it out to your satisfaction

Any problems, ask for the uk boss's e-mail address

961 13:43 11 Nov 2005

into Google of course

Bestselling Author 13:53 11 Nov 2005

I've spent the morning ringing around the Canon Service Centres, and one has come across a similar situation where the customer got as infuriated as I did! It could be the compact flash card apparently. The service centre told me that one customer had given them the camera to check which they did and found no faults. They tested it with their own CF card. Ofcourse, when the customer got his camera back, he put his own CF card in and experienced the same problem. This is exactly what I did - I sent the camera & battery to the Canon Service centre, but kept hold of my CF cards. Ialso tend to use the same card over and over again, so I've put my 'spare' CF card in the camera, and so far, the problem has not re-occured. Fingers crossed, the problem could be solved.

961 15:48 11 Nov 2005

Good

And yes. They are the best ones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?