Canon central printing?

EtherealEntity 12:39 26 Jun 2010

Hi. I just bought a Canon Pixma MP640 and am very happy with it so far. However I have one issue - how do I make sure prints come out central? I assume it would be a default setting...
Here's my experience.

I plan to print CD covers on some glossy paper - I can save lots of money if I print double sided. One side for the front and back inlays, and then on the other side would be printed the insides of the CD. Perfect!
I decided to try it on some normal paper, not using the Duplex feature as it is not an option on the rear tray where the glossy paper would go. I used the CD-Label Print software which came with my printer. I hear complaints about it but it seems great to me! Anyway...
I printed out the sheet with the front cover and rear inlay with side folds. Perfect. Inserted it back into the tray in the correct direction, and printed the contents of the inside of the CD.
It worked just like I thought, except they were not alligned horizontally.
I did a test and used OpenOffice to print a word document with a border around the page. On my PC screen all the margins were central, but the print came out with a larger margin to the left!

What can I do??
Thankyou!

chub_tor 12:46 26 Jun 2010

When you installed the printer did you go through the align procedure using the matte paper that they provide in the box?

"Align the Print Head. Canon has improved the print head alignment process from the MP620. There is a pack of two alignment sheets (Matte Photo Paper MP-101, a heavy paper with a notched corner to correctly orient the paper in the printer).

Load one sheet of the paper and follow the directions on the LCD (you know, Press OK) and in a few minutes, the printer will both print and scan the alignment bars."

This quotation from this website for the MP640 click here

EtherealEntity 12:49 26 Jun 2010

I did indeed align the print head with the provided paper. I'm not entirely sure it's an issue inside the printer - is it MEANT to be printing centrally?

EtherealEntity 13:57 26 Jun 2010

I think I've found a satisfactory solution for now...
An image printed to centre came out dead centre.
Word documents still do not. Don't really care.
There is an option to allign the prints on the CD cover software - I'll just type -3.5mm when printing the backside of the sheet. Tried it just now and it seems to work fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017