Canon CanoScan D1250U2 - Won't scan anymore

Tony_B 15:21 26 Oct 2006

I have had this scanner for a few years and it has always worked perfectly (it was a Top 10 recommendation a while ago).

Just recently it has been coming up with an error message stating that I need to unlock the locking swtich remove the USB cable and close the scanner driver. Its not performing the scan, just jolting back and forth a few times and then up comes the message.

I have tried deleting and re-loading the driver, and there doesn't appear to be a new version on the Canon site.

I have seen a couple of times another error message saying 'refer to handbook Code 11 error'

I called Canon helpdesk they say its a hardware fault and gave me the telephone number of their repair people, who want to charge £55.93 to pick up repair and return the scanner.

Today I managed to get it to copy a couple of pages after a bit of fiddling about, but now its back to the same problem.

I'm not convinced that this is a hardware issue, the scanner hasn't had any knocks or been roughly handled.

Anyone got any ideas what I might try next other than the obvious of sending it in.

At the cost I have been quoted I might as well buy a new scanner, can anyone recommed one within a budget of £60-£70, I haven't been able to locate the latest Top 10 chart for scanners and have no idea what's worth it these days.

Any advice would be very useful.

Thanks
Tony B

Technotiger 15:25 26 Oct 2006

Hi - top 10

click here

anskyber 15:36 26 Oct 2006

A popular consumer mag says, Epson Perfection 3590 Photo. but its about £88

Tony_B 16:32 26 Oct 2006

Does anyone else have any recommendations for a cheapish scanner.

Are the Visioner Scanners any good, I read a review that said they don't come with all the driver files to make them work.

Technotiger 16:37 26 Oct 2006

I have the Epson Perfection 3490 Photo - on my link above it is only £56 - I paid much more than that for mine, a while ago. I can highly recommend it.

Cheers.

Tony_B 16:04 06 Nov 2006

Epson 3490 now out of stock everywhere in London at PC World and has apparently been discontinued.

Anyone got another recommendation for me?

PAE 17:41 06 Nov 2006

are you taking your USB feed from a hub? it will only work correctly if plugged directly into the PC. I had the same problem and after consulting the canon help files I managed to find this bit of information. Connected direct and no more problem.

Tony_B 18:00 06 Nov 2006

@PAE - No using direct connection to USB port. Canon tell me a sensor has failed but the repair cost is £59.93 - so I am thinking about just buying a new scanner.

Anyone have a recommendation?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017