Cannot view web pages in IE6

steve0 17:48 18 Dec 2003

Have friend's computer with problem. On win xp home and Tiscali broadband. IE6 stopped working, home page hijcked with incredifind, but would not open web pages. Ran spybot and Adaware - cleared out loads of stuff. Norton won't run, after a clean install the Autoprotect box will not flag up. Have searched for viruses using AVG and nothing found.

Tiscali broadband will log on, but IE6 does not load pages. Also when going to AVG for updates or Lavasoft, nothing happens, get message saying cannot connect to internet, even though modem seems to have connected - blue icon in task bar etc.

Has the spyware or viruses deleted files needed for internet? Have tried fixing IE6 and running system file checker - machine still cannot get on net.

Help please.

Gaz 25 18:31 18 Dec 2003

I think some virus or spyware has wrecked this computer....

I would suggest reformatting.

But you could try a fresh hosts file.

Have you rinstalled the Modems drivers?

beeuuem 18:32 18 Dec 2003

Are you running a firewall? The symptoms you describe can occur when a firewall is blocking access to the net.

steve0 18:42 18 Dec 2003

No firewall running - what do I have to do to get a fresh hosts file? Don't want to reformat unless no other options!
Thanks

VoG II 18:46 18 Dec 2003

Hosts file click here

However, the spyware may have wrecked the 'puter as Gaz said.

steve0 20:26 18 Dec 2003

Is there a way to reinstall the internet bits of Windows Xp rather than a complete format and reinstall?

R4 20:40 18 Dec 2003

EI 6 has a 'Detect and repair option in help, I assume that this works in XP ( I use W98SE)

steve0 20:43 18 Dec 2003

Thanks R4 - I've done this, IE6 seems OK, but still will not connect to web sites even though Broadband modem is connected.

steve0 18:46 22 Dec 2003

Just to let people know - have fixed problem. Ran a program called Winsock XP fix. It replaces any damaged internet files including the hosts file and now the machine works fine.

Have installed AVG and Zone Alarm and put all the Winxp updates on, so should be OK. I told my friend to check her phone bill for premium numbers, and sure enough there were several. It is fortunated that the machine stopped being able to access the internet, or these dialler programs would have cost her a lot of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone