Cannot view one website

johnkins 12:11 24 Jan 2006

Hi

I cannot access a website for my bank. I can access all the other secure websites and normal websites as well. I have deleted the cookies etc but that hasnt helped. can some one help me with it?? Thanks.

coolhead 14:00 24 Jan 2006

Hi

What you can do is ipconfig /flushdns from start..run...cmd. If this does not work then you can search for host files using the search function. Rename all the host files to hosts.old. Leave the LMHosts files alone. had this problme meself and this worked for me. try it.

Restart the computer.check again.

johnkins 06:54 25 Jan 2006

hi coolhead,

i tried the steps that u mentioned and it has fixed the problem that i had. Now i can access all the websites that i need to visit. Thanks !!

octal 07:05 25 Jan 2006

Those host listings are usually placed in there by ad blocking software, now you've proved the problem, open the hosts.old file in NotePad and look for your banks address in there, when you find it place a # before the entry. What that is doing is telling the computer to ignore that entry, then save as hosts again without the old extension then any ad blocking software will continue to work properly.

coolhead 09:45 27 Jan 2006

Glad that i was able to help you out. I had the same problem and called iyogi. Subcribed to their services. They solved the problem by renaming those files. Did tell me how the files work but i think octal has a great idea. Im not sure what caused the problem on my computer as i dont have a ad blocking software. I have microsofts anti spyware software. use that to scan the computer every week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache