Cannot update windows

Hetti 19:15 17 Jan 2011

My brothers PC needs 10 windows updates, when you try to download/install it says 9 were succesful 1 failed (win framework 3.5).When I open windows update 5 min later all 10 updates are there for download again. Can anyone help with this problem

He didnt relize that they were not being installed so There have been no win updates since dec 2010

GaT7 19:25 17 Jan 2011

Which OS?

First see if these particular updates are installed in Add or Remove Programs.

If yes, uninstall them & try again, this time installing one at a time.

If no joy with that, try downloading them via Microsoft Catalog click here - you need to enter the KB numbers in the Search box. Then download the latest version FOR YOUR OS. Once downloaded, double-click each to install one at a time. Reboot required only after all have been installed. G

Hetti 20:21 17 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Win vista home OS

I will not be able to go to brothers until later this week, Im not a techie at all (and my brother even less)but I think I will be able to carry out the suggestions you make.

Thanks for the help.

Hetti 14:21 19 Jan 2011

Crossbow7

I did as you suggested with win catalouge and all updates except win framework 3.5 were installed I was so pleased thanks so much, is there a way I can get this last update installed as I tried twice to install from catologue, it says it is downloaded and installed but it is not.

GaT7 14:24 19 Jan 2011

Try uninstalling it from Control Panel > Programs (if present there), & reboot.

Then install the file you downloaded & reboot.

What KB number does it have by the way? G

Hetti 14:43 19 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Its not present in add/remove.

The KB number is KB951066. There is a one called framework 4 in control panel, but for some reason I cannot get this update(framework3.5).

Thanks

GaT7 14:49 19 Jan 2011

Do what it says in this MSKB solution click here, then try to install the update again.

Apparently worked for this person click here with a similar problem. G

GaT7 15:00 19 Jan 2011

Sorry, skip that as it's for XP, etc.

Start by looking in your Win update log file click here.

If it contains the error codes 0x80070002" or "0x80070003", follow the solution at click here.

Let us know if it contains a different error code. G

Hetti 15:37 19 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Im back at home now so cannot follow instruction you give, it maybe a couple of days before i can go back to brothers now,I think (although not 100%) the error code was 57.
Its complicated because as I said my brother can only turn the PC ON/OFF and really has no idea about anything else, so he cannot do anything himself.
The update in question is stated as "Important" and it seems to be related to email (is that right?)as brother never uses email will it make a difference if we cannot get the update installed?

GaT7 15:45 19 Jan 2011

Yes, it is related to your email client (click here).

No, not installing it for now will not affect email in any way. G

Hetti 09:23 21 Jan 2011

Update

The PC is fine now all the updates are definately installed (except framework one) however win update still shows 9 updates are needed.
The number 9 has not changed since 19th (are there anymore updates from windows since then? if so why does the number no change and more importantly why does it stay there.
Any advice greatly appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?